Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salt Water Fly Fishing magazine

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Swalt 
#1 ·
I received a copy of American Angler magazine in the mail a few days ago and with it a letter stating the publisher has done away with SWFF and instead will print a small salt water section in the AA magazine. American Angler will be sent until my subscription runs out. I really enjoyed SWFF. I already get enough other magazines that cover trout fishing........Poop!:frown:

#3 ·
With out a doubt Jim, as a small businessman I am all to familiar of the realities of economics and change. I am sure that bringing SWFF to a close was a hard decision to make. I am just a little disappointed thats all, as I really enjoyed reading it.

#4 ·
Warren,

Be thankful they are honoring what subscription we have left. Other mags just fold leaving us with nothing. At least they are making restitution in some form.

I too enjoyed SWFF but there numbers were down. Too much confusion with the other magazine so closely named.

We got word about three months ago with a private e-mail from the editor to those of us that contribute in some way. They are supposed to improve and enlarge the saltwater content in American Angler.

#8 ·
Warren,

I miss SWFF too. It was a good magazine. I also have a subscription to Fly Fishing in Saltwater. I often lost track of which was which, especially at renewal time. Whenever I recieved a notification from one that my subscription was running out, I could've swore that I had already sent them a check! I probably get too many fishing magazines anyway, at least that is what my wife thinks.:hihi:

Steve M.

#9 ·
I kept getting renewals from Fly Fishing in Saltwters even though it was not running out in that year. I would renew and a couple times my wife saw it and renewed for me. I ended up subscribed for 3 years in advance. Watching that more closely now. That mag seems very stable but you never know.

#10 ·
Swalt said:
I kept getting renewals from Fly Fishing in Saltwters even though it was not running out in that year. I would renew and a couple times my wife saw it and renewed for me. I ended up subscribed for 3 years in advance. Watching that more closely now. That mag seems very stable but you never know.
I agree that FFSW seems to be stable, although in truth it seemed that way with SWFF, too. I was, however, very disappointed in the last issue of FFSW. I thought their feature articles, in particular, weren't up to their usual level. I sent them an e-mail about it and got a rather defensive response from Capt. Lund, the current editor. I wonder if it was just me or were others thinking the same thing about that issue (Nov./Dec. I believe.)

#11 ·
JR SPEY said:
I agree that FFSW seems to be stable, although in truth it seemed that way with SWFF, too. I was, however, very disappointed in the last issue of FFSW. I thought their feature articles, in particular, weren't up to their usual level. I sent them an e-mail about it and got a rather defensive response from Capt. Lund, the current editor. I wonder if it was just me or were others thinking the same thing about that issue (Nov./Dec. I believe.)
I don't have that issue with me right now but I do remember that I didn't spend a lot of time with it like I normally do. I was excited when I saw the 10 (think that was the number) Great Winter Destinations reference on the cover but when I went to the article it contained nothing new. Just short blurbs on the usual.

#12 ·
Swalt said:
I don't have that issue with me right now but I do remember that I didn't spend a lot of time with it like I normally do. I was excited when I saw the 10 (think that was the number) Great Winter Destinations reference on the cover but when I went to the article it contained nothing new. Just short blurbs on the usual.
Exactly! And the one on the artwork was along that same road. These are just offered as part of the advertising fee and aren't, in my mind, truly feature articles. I understand that Fly Fish America does this because the advertisers support it 100%. What worries me is that this type of an issue may mean that money is tight and they can only afford to pay one author for a feature article. Now, I'm not trying to start a rumor as I have no idea what their status is, but that approach does make me nervous. It would truly be a shame to lose both of them.

#14 ·
If magazines were published daily they still couldn't keep up with trends and "news" as quickly as the internet.

As I see it, their best hope is to focus on quality writing (something the internet thus far has been largely unable to compete with.) But I don't think its much of a hope...

What I suspect will be the next trend you see more and more of are catalogs with articles. So like the LL Bean or Orvis catalog comes to you for free, the articles buy it a place next to your toilet for a few more days than it ordinarily would have "enjoyed."

In many ways it would be little different than what many magazines already are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.