Fly Fishing Forum banner

boat building update

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
Progress on the "Lucky Skunk" has been next to nothing since the idea took root in late December but it is about to hit overdrive. The delay has been due to finding the right wood for the job. To get the best deal we had to order the vertical grain douglas fir from British Columbia and from the time it took them to get it to us I'm thinking they had to plant the trees first.:) Well we picked the 1200 pounds of wood up on Monday and the first cuts were made last night. More cuts to be made tonight and with any luck we will have created a roughly boat like skeleton in my fiance's back yard by the end of the weekend. The 220hp mercruiser is waiting for us at a loading dock in RI and the only non-electronic major purchase we have left is the outdrive and gimbal. If anyone out there has built a boat we'd love to hear your experiences.

#2 ·
"Fiances backyard" Congratulations.

I'll be watching for more updates on the boat building with great interest. I've got plans for a canoe that I've carried around for more years than I care to admit, and have sketches for a yak that I'm real tempted to tackle when it gets warm out.

Measure twice, cut once.

#3 ·
Thanks on the congrats!

Measure twice cut once! Excellent advice. We made that mistake on a temporary side frame member but luckily it was on standard 2x6 from home depot - about a .80 cent mistake. I hope they are all that small!

#5 ·
with any luck we will have created a roughly boat like skeleton in my fiance's back yard
Hey man - congrat's!

I would love to see your project or help if needed. Like longrod and John I have been a fan of Bateau.com as well as "Messing About In Boats" for years. I think in a few years I will attempt something big like you.

Best of luck & congratulations again!

Roop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.