Fly Fishing Forum banner

Striblue does it again!

3K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Doc Duprey 
#1 ·
John -

NICE JOB with the flounder article on Jeff's site:

http://flyfishsaltwaters.com/fly_flounder_around.htm

Why it seems like only yesterday when we were telling johnny scissorhands to "go for it" and man, for it he went! Kudos for what has to be the sharpest learning curve in fly tying EVER.

#19 ·
Good job John!

I see that your work is also mentioned in an email and on the website of a saltwater flies and materials supplier. Way to go!

Q

#21 ·
striblue said:
Thanks Q... Chris Windram's site..Saltwaterflies... has a number of them as well...if that's the board you are talking about.
That's the one. He's right here in the Berkshires by the way. Kind of surprising that he focuses on SWFF.

Q

#22 ·
Way to Go John!
A Master Fly Tier designation will soon be upon you!
Better still, an official "Mentorship" will be added to your title as president of the CAC.

New business cards are required, maybe some one can propose an appropriate design?

#24 ·
John, what a delight to discover on a day of rain, hail, freezing rain and snow. Awesome Flounder Fly! My Dad was a fairly legendary flounder fisherman in the 40's to 70's in parts of Barnegat Bay, and this littel guy (in your article) takes me right back to those wonderful days. OF course, they were the prey in those dyas, not the lure. Sure makes sense they would "lure" more than a few stripers to heel! Have you thought of making it in various shades? As your boys probably observed, these masters of cammoflage change color and blend incredibly with whatever bottom they encounter. A flounder straight up out of the mud (around sod banks, for example) will be dark brown or may even appear black. One rising from a sandy or gravel bottom will be considerably lighter and more mottled, to match and blend with the potential predator's view from above. Lots of species do this color change gradually (imagine a huge old brown trout whose home has long been under a dark undercut bank), but the flounder can do it almost in a flash. Since mallard feathers cannot (Drat it!) the fly may best immitate the natural if tied to match bottom conditions of the tier's favorite haunts. Interesting question, though: Will it better excite a striper if it blends inn flawlessly like an already acclimated flattie, OR is a little "off color" against its background and thus more visible? It's a variation on the old fishing dilemma: finding a balance point between matching the natural closely enough to fool the fish, but making it look or behave just enough "different" (aberrant) to appear wounded or vulnerable and excite more predation than caution. As Doc would undoubtedly say: We need lots more data on this one!! Need a research assistant? I know of two (he and me) who will volunteer to manage multiple research trials! Ha HA! Thanks a million for the delightful diversion on a snowy day!
Regards,
Margie

#25 ·
You have some good points re: the speed with which flatfish can change their coloration to blend in with the bottom; I would imagine that a trio of shades (i.e. a light tan pattern, a medium brown, and a darker brown) might be warranted for matching the bottom composition in any particular area; a means of alluring the fish to the fly without "giving the game away" might be to incorporate a small glass rattle into the pattern, perhaps tied to the hook between the two sets of dumbells. The noise might be enough to cause stripers to come searching, then move the fly just enough to give away it's position. In that case, hungry stripers may react to the fly very aggressively and rapidly, lest this "flounder" get away and bury itself in the sand or become otherwise too cryptic to see.

#26 ·
Doc...all good points... In fact I do have them in different colors.. the one you see on the step by step has a tan foam with brown malard flank... I have some tyed with Brown foam and brown Mallard feathers.... brown foam and natural mallard feathers.... tan foam with yellowish mallard feathers..... tan foam and natural mallard feathers...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.