Fly Fishing Forum banner

Skeena Rod?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  sean 
#1 ·
Beginner here! My buddy has got me to commit to a trip to the Skeena area this fall for either Aug,Sept,Oct, or Nov. Assuming you had to pick one double-hander for Dries,Type 3-Type 6 and other heavy heads for Nov. swingin' on the Bulkley, Copper, Babine what would you go with?
I may have a sweet deal on the new Sage 8136-4, would she be sufficient?

Thanks for your help/advice! waterdog2 :eek:

Sorry to be redundant if you've seen this question on another forum, just don't wanna be overgunned w/a 14' or 15' 9-10

#2 ·
Although I lack the knowledge of those specific rivers, I'm sure the 8136-4 would be a good choice especially if you are getting a sweet deal. The Bulkley is known for broad pools perfect for spey, and the Copper has big multi-salt fish that should put the bend to the cork in an 8wt. You'd need to make sure the line matches well and that the sink tips match the line to have good casting.

You might consider bringing a back-up rod on such a trip, I'd hate to be up there without a backup in case something happened. Sounds like you are new to spey casting, getting some lessons now would be money once you get up there.

good luck

#4 ·
I echo Sinktips remarks.

It will probably be OK for some of the fish but these are not sacremento steelhead we are talking about. These are some of the biggest, baddest steelhead on the planet. 15+ pound fish are very common with 20 pounders a real possibility. A 9wt stick is over gunned on a majority of steelhead water but the Skeena aint one of them.

-sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.