Fly Fishing Forum banner

Atlantic Salmon Fly Swap - Sign Up

7K views 53 replies 10 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
In order to keep up with the other fly swaps in process (i.e. steelhead, saltwater, trout) to ensure Salmo Salar is represented an Atlantic Salmon fly swap is proposed.

Each person would tie one pattern of an atlantic salmon fly of their choice. Custom or traditional pattern. Hairwings, speys, tubes, etc. classic ties are optional (for those that can do them)

They would receive a fly back from each of the participating people.

Limit of people participating is ten which should be enough for the number of people which responded to the previous e-mail.

Sign up ends January 15th - Flies would be due to the coordinator by Febuary 1st.

Respond to this e-mail if you are interested. A list of those participating and instructions will be posted on January 15th.

Thanks and good tying. Nothing like an atlantic salmon pattern to test your skills on.

Hal :chuckle: :chuckle:

See less See more
#2 ·
Ii'm in

I'll tie up a pattern i tie up similar to a atlantic salmon fly. Basicaly it's my own custom version ofa couuple flies I picked up when I fished on the Niagra a few years ago.

#6 ·
Juro,

I was thinking of moving it to Mid February or so, does that help ?

Just found out I probably have to deliver a presentation in LA the second week of February which will make things tight for me up to that time.

Actually could do the end of February also, its not like any body except the British Isle members (Malcolm, etc.) will be able to use them before the spring in the US anyway ?

Hal

#8 ·
ATLANTIC SALMON FLY SWAP - REVISED DUE DATE - FEBRUARY 28TH

Since there are already three swaps going on in January (steelhead, saltwater, trout) and it will be to cold to fish in most of our home waters, except those lucky caribbean or South American fly fishers etc..., the due date for the completion of the flies has been moved to Thursday February 28th.

Hopefully there will be other tyers that would like to participate. See the above guidelines for the swap.

Will also give me some more time to figure out how to do single Photo Shots from my Digital Palmcoder and the beginning of February now looks bad for me from a business perspective to coordinate the distributuion of the flys to the participants. Also need to further perfect the AS patterns prototyped over the holiday.

Happy New Year To All,

:)

#10 ·
AS Fly Swap - Sign UP

As of today here are the people registered for the swap.

Due date for flies is Feb 28th, Any pattern you like just tie all of the same pattern, different hook sizes is OK.

Steelheader69
Willie Gunn
WRKE
PMFLYFISHER

FredAevans - ?? Fred are you in this, not sure, Hal

Any one that wants in let us know, plenty of time (and winter)
left to try your skills on atlantic salmon ties. Note many of these can be used for PNW and Great Lakes steelhead so give them a try. If you are a Great Lakes steelheader though I would tie them in size 8 or smaller.

See previous messages on this.

#11 ·
All done

I guess you can say I'm ahead of the gaame, but since you saiid it's only goinng to be limited to 10 tiers I did minne up today and dropped them in the mail. You should have them sometimme this week, early nfollowing week. Figured, if you don't get 10, you can keep the rest. There already is an extra in there for you anyways. Hope you like them. Iit's a hairwing knockoff of a fly I got from a kind gentlemaan when Ii was in NY fishiingA Atlaantics. I couuldn't even comme close to tying it like he did, so switched it to a hairwing and made somme modifiications to it. I call it the Blue Bayou. It worked last time I hit the Niagara andd worked when the net pens broke here in WA with the Atlantics.

#13 ·
Steelheader 69 - Very Nice

Received Steelheader 69 flies today.

Very cool hair wing tie. I think this color combination will work well for mid west steelhead and king salmon. Have you used it for PNW steelhead with any results ?

Great color combination. I don't see this one in any of AS pattern books. Thats what great about tying your own flies you can be creative and then try and tie

Have lots of room and time for other AS tyers to get in on this fly swap.

Let me know, see previous e-mail for specs.and due dates.

:hehe:

#14 ·
Thanks

I'm glad you liked them. It's actually based off an AS pattern, but QUITE loosely. I heavily customized it, but I got it from a guy who tied his own flies on the Niagara. His was more of a decorative fly that you'd see in a display (gut loop and all). I cried when I lost that fly.

I was never taught (eventhough I self taught myself to tie flies) to tie up a traditional faancy featherwing flies. So, ince I never got a name and pretty much redesigned the fly I naamed it myself. Called iit the Blue Bayou because of a commnt someone said about the fly after Ii tied the first ones up.

Yes, they do catch stelhead, more late winterruns/early summerruns. I normaly fish these on fair/good visibility. I've cauught somme Atlantics on them, but not "true" Atlantics. Caught the netpen atlantics thtaescaped a few years ago on Puget Sound.

Let me kknow how they work, or if you incorporate it into your flybox. I ways wondered how'd they work on Atlanntics on the east coast. I was a bit uneasy sending in AS flies, since I'm not an AS fisherman, but figured I'd give it a try.

#15 ·
Your like Me

Jerry,

I am also self taught on fly tying. Started in 1980 when I was transferred to South Bend, Indiana which is right on the Michigan state line. I never had the time before that . Had been east coast (NYS Catskills and Northern NJ) trout fisherman since 1960.

In 1980 is when I started the Michigan steelhead pursuit and learning curve from point zero. Where, when, how, and with what to fish. The transformation from trout to salmon and steelhead started. Michigan has some great rivers and fish runs and remember Trout Unlimited started on the Ausable River in Michigan, and the first Brown trout in America were planted in the Pere Marquette in 1884.

Bought a fly tying kit from Kaufmans and the Trey Combs first Steelhead book. Had lots of time to get into it. We had our first child in 1981, the wife was grounded but she let me go fishing a lot. The rivers were a half hour to 3 hour drive from our home. Have some of my first flies boy were they crude, glad no one was around to see them, all of my fishing friends were back east, and were trout fisherman anyway, not salmon and steelhead.

Its great designing a fly and then going out and proving it will take fish. I have found it does not have to be a beautiful fly to be effective. We use a lot of specialized steelhead nymph patterns here in the Midwest. Will send you some for application and field testing out there on PNW waters.

What size do you fish and weighted or unweighted ?

I did not know that the Niagara had an atlantic run ? Do they still have one there of any significance ? I did not know about the PNW atlantic salmon farms until being on this forumn and their escapement into the rivers.

Hal

#16 ·
Thanks again

Glad you liked the flies, hope the rest like them too.

I fished the Niagara about 6 years ago. Fished te NY side and awent with friend into te Ontario side. The fish I cauhgt sure looked lke Atlantics and the nice old gent I encountered on the bank near the town of Niagara NY on the Niagara river told me they were Atlantics. I boought my license, had my regs, but had no idea of what an Atlantic loked like. I had my buddies fly rod (too bad he had to work while I visited hiim in NY) and went down to he river. I was WAY unprepared. Hhe had al steelhead gear and big bushy winterrun flies for fishing the OlyPen. He hadn't fished there yet. Luckily this old man gave me some insight anda few flies. Hhe was using a very old bamboo spey rod (well, it loked like one, same type of handle but only about 11' long). He told me there was atlanics (I was told there were salmon in the river at the local sporting goods shop I bought my license) The flies worked like a charm, and the ish looked similar to king, just different spots and configuration. He told me they were atlantics and I tok his work for it. Do they have kings planted i that river? Could've been a funky king. Loked identicle to the the atlantis I cuaught in Olalla when th netpens broke a couple years ago. Any Niagara fisherman in here? Any insight on what runs in the niagara? Mmaaybe its'a morphed king?????

#17 ·
The Blue Bayou looks like a salmon streamer type fly to me. Will give it a go out here when the proper scenario presents itself.

I know they have steelhead and king and probably coho salmon in the Niagara. But atlantic salmon may be a Zipperlip type scenario. Were not aware of them being there but they have been stocked by Canada, Michigan, Ohio, and maybe New York state through out the Great Lakes over the last 100 years.

Atlantic Salmon were native to Lake Ontario and maybe Lake Erie at one time.

Michigans program has not been successful. Not stocked them in the PM in late 70s when I fished for them, very few were ever caught except out in Lake Michigan.

Sounds like that old fellow has a good thing going and your were very lucky to have met him. We better not talk about much more open on the net.

Have to check it out further.

Thanks

Hal

#19 ·
I would love to participate but am way too busy to do so until a later date. I can't promise any mixed wings for a swap but I can definitely whip up some traditionals. If you guys move the date out let me know, otherwise I look forward to seeing the recipes and images as a spectator.

Striblue... if they push back the date are you in this one too?

:D

#22 ·
Atlantic Salmon Fly Swap - Due Date

The Atlantic Salmon Fly Swap Due Date was changed to Feb 28th in my 1/1 post within this thread.

Lets make the sign up date deadline February 8th. Will then determine the number to tie by each person. Limited to ten people max. Tie what ever type AS pattern you like, those not in the books are most appreciated (Like Steelheader69's).

Hoping we would get more people to participate than just the current 4 people. They are Willie Gunn, Steelheader69, WRKE, and PMFLYFISHER.

I received Steelheader 69's flys last week.

Juro and Striblue and all others advise if you would like to particpate ? Think the other fly swaps on this board will be over by end of January.

Send the flies and tying instructions to following following address:

Hal Eckert
5504 W. Oak Center Drive
Oak Lawn, IL

#24 ·
Hal -

You forgot to include Frenchcreek in your count!

Since you were good enough to move the deadline out you can count me in for hairwing salmon flies, Speys, Dees or traditional tubes, etc. I don't think I can commit to mixed wings right now or I will be doomed to failure to meet the schedule.

That makes 6 people so far...

While on the topic, and not directed at anyone in particular:

A few notes on swaps...

It's a misconception that the number of flies must match the people participating. Not everyone has to get a fly from everyone else, just the number they sent in.

The meister is typically responsible for scanning or photographing the flies for submitting to the archive. If this is a problem, just send them to someone who volunteers to do the imaging and forward them to the meister for distribution. You can always use me for a image broker for any swap we do on the forum.

Once the images are created, the tyer posts the image and the recipe themselves on the fly pattern archive. In this manner, each can express things about the fly and others can ask questions, etc. The pattern and knowledge is then saved for future readers.

Always tie one for the meister.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.