Fly Fishing Forum banner

My first Question

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DEERHAAWK 
#1 ·
I want to know if flyfishing is diffucul to do or if it is fairly simple???

#2 ·
It is not difficult to learn how to fly cast at all, and that is the basis of fly fishing. Tying a fly on is the same as tying a spinner, lure, or hook on when using spinning or casting gear. As an example of how easy it is to learn to fly fish, I've taught my three kids (who are now 26, 18, and nearly 14) how to fly cast when each one was 5 years old, and non of them had any problem learning how.

The best way to get into fly fishing is through buying a serviceable fly fishing kit (rod, reel, line) at a fly shop (fly fishing store). I recommend the fly shop because the folks behind the counter are knowledgeable fly fishers who will help you get a well-ballance outfit. Since there are quite a few good, serviceable fly fishing kits on the market now for $150.00-$200.00, it really is false economy to try and get into fly fishing by buying a cheap rod, reel, etc. at Wal-mart or K-mart. Also, the local shop will help teach you how to fly cast if you buy the fly fishing kit from them. The same can't be said of the Cabella's, Bass Pro Shops, and other large discount fishing or outdoor chains.

#3 ·
Welcome!

Newflyer,
Good to have you on the Forum! Flytyer is right, both my boys were also taught to cast before they were 10, and most people I have worked with, that thought they had no hope of being Flyfisher Men or Women, picked up a basic cast and were catchin fish within 1 hour! Its as simple, or as involved as YOU want it to be, and you can take it to any level at your own pace.
sooooo, Go get that set up and catch some fish!
Deerhawk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.