Fly Fishing Forum banner

...To barb, or not to barb? That is the question?!...

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Nick 
#1 ·
Today I discovered one more GOOD reason to leave the barbs at home...
There I wuzz...Lewis Bay Yak Attack with Brother Nick...lots of fish around and sight casting is on the menu...and working!
Cast to a passing BIG fish at 12 o'clock high/50'...nice cast (even though I do say so myself) but smaller opportunist fish steals the fly...BIG fish is annoyed and curious and stays with smaller rude thief...I see BIG fish swimming in formation and give some slack...Barbless fly finally comes loose and is promptly devoured by BIG fish...Drag noises now eminating from my reel...
LIFE IS GOOD!
Sincerely,
Crush D'Barb

#2 ·
Barbless, I am sitting on my deck sun bathing/reading debarbing all of the summer steelhead flies I tied this winter, preparing myself for what they call "skamania mania" the steelhead on steroids. One mean strong fish 10-20 lbs average, some to high twenties. Most will break you off on their many wild porpoising jumps.:smokin: :smokin: Lots of fun though !

#4 ·
Pete,
That was something to see! It really was amazing to see your rod bent over, then slack, then water exploding in front of you. Had a great time this morning...hope to make it back again when the wind switches directions. It could get real interesting then since I saw many fish >33" unfortunatley they were 5 feet from me and made a beeline for deep water when they saw me. Thanks for the tour!

Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.