Fly Fishing Forum banner

Skagit River

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  KerryS 
#1 ·
Im thinking about doing a trip to the Sauk/Skagit this spring maybe in March. I have never been there and all I have to go on is what I read in the books and what I can see on the map or on Google earth.

Any body have a recommendation on a good spey fishing guide.

Also to me the Skagit between Marble mount and Newhalem looks like the kind of water I would rather fish than the big water around Concrete, Hamilton, Lyman etc. How is the access on the upper Skagit. Can I get around on foot from the highway or do I really need a guide and a boat.

Natrix

#2 ·
You should fish with Ed Ward (riveraddict), Mike Kinney and John Farrar. Each have their own perspective and you will enjoy them all.

But don't try to fish with Ed while I am up there with him :devil:

seriously, let's try to hook up while you're there

#3 ·
Very few steelhead

above Marblemount, which is considered the practical upper limit when fishing for Spring steelhead. The Marblemount to Rockport stretch is smaller and faster moving than the lower river and usually runs very clear. If you want to fish the upper river, that would be where I'd suggest.

Ditto Juro's suggestion for guides- depending on how you like to fish, any of those three would be a good bet. :)

DS

#4 ·
You can try Jack Cook at Irishangler.com. Don't know if he's a sponsor (sorry) but he's a good guy and knows the river. I will say you NEED a guide, at least on day 1. The fly water can look a little odd. Lots of pots and small runs to fish in between the classic bars and you need experienced eyes to point all that out. Access is a bit tough too.

I will say that one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, if not THE most, is the Sauk River valley below Darrington. The river is just 'brawling' which to me epitomizes the Steelhead river. Wade with a stick for sure.

The Sauk 'bar' on the Skagit is below the campground in Rockport and I hear there's a trail. I fished it on a float, nice BIG run.

-Chris

#6 ·
The Skagit above Marblemount is only open up to Bacon Creek in March/April and there is no boat launch at Bacon Creek along with very (I mean virtually none) limited foot access from Bacon Creek all the way to Marblemount. The Skagit is a big river along the size of the middle and lower Potomac; therefore, a guide is not a bad idea.

Mike Kinney, Ed Ward, and John Farrar are the best fly guides working the Skagit and Sauk. Jack Cook is another good one, and our own Northfork16, Ryan Petzold, aka "Sparky" is an up and coming one. Come out and enjoy the beautiful Sakgit Valley, which I call home.

#7 ·
Keep this in mind, too...if you are looking to book one of the better guides on the Skagit/Sauk for this March or April, you should have booked them about six months ago...those guys are probably booked up for those months a year in advance, with random single days available...

Get in line now for any cancellations that might come up, or to see if there are any random days left in any of their schedules.

If you are looking to learn the river and fish there a lot, then hiring a guide for a couple of days is the way to go...if you are looking just to be up there for a few days and get some fishing in with some reasonable expectations of success, there are lots of casting bars that are fairly easy to find, and easy to read...you can do that without a guide if you can get a few of the locals on this forum to steer you in the right direction.

Good luck! I live up there the entire month of April, but you'll note from the designation under my moniker that I am the token gear guy on this forum, but I can help you out a little if you want to shoot me an e-mail...

c_n_r_nates@hotmail.com

Will you have a drift boat or pontoon boat to get you around, or will you be bankbound?

Fish on...

Todd

#8 ·
Todd Ripley said:
Keep this in mind, too...if you are looking to book one of the better guides on the Skagit/Sauk for this March or April, you should have booked them about six months ago...those guys are probably booked up for those months a year in advance, with random single days available...
that would explain why i am still available all march and april. :D

#11 ·
NrthFrk16 said:
that would explain why i am still available all march and april. :D
Maybe you should advertise more..............

natrix,

I am not a guide nor do I want to be one but I do live close to the Skagit and have fished it for a few years. If a guide is not your first choice and I would recommend any of the above mentioned guides including NrthFrk16, I would be willing to show you some of the river in exchange for food or flies.

Kerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.