Fly Fishing Forum banner

what will your next outboard be?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Pat Bahan 
#1 ·
On July of 2000 I purchase a brand new Proline open fisher boat with a Mercury OptiMax150. Here is my story to help any one with the next purchase of a marine product.
My first day on my new boat, I decided to break in the boat. So all excited I went out for a pleasure cruise. As I cruised Biscayne Bay an alarm went off, the low oil sensor. This can't be, it was full, but I checked and it had 2 gallons, must be a bad sensor. I came home and called the dealer, they instructed me on a few steps to check the oil. On its second outing I experienced the same low oil sensor, and a high water temp. I made an appointment with the dealer and was able to take the boat in for repairs. A few weeks later I had my boat again.

A short period after the repairs were done I heard the same low oil sensor, and back to the shop it went. After appointment and repair, it had to be over a week with out my boat in the middle of dolphin season.

Few months later guess what, low oil sensor again, and a new problem. The low oil sensor was accompany with the engine light. The combination of both lights means engine might be running with out oil. This can't be good. I called the shop and made another appointment. Turns out the engine had 2 cylinders burned, so Mercury replaced the power head. I was ecstatic to hear this, since I had so much trouble with this unit.

Well I finally got a new power head, its going to run great I thought. As I get ready to leave from the ramp, the shifter is stuck in neutral. This can't be. Another fishing day ruined, and a brand new boat with a pretty Mercury sitting on my trailer. I called the dealership and made another appointment, this time I have to wait on Mercury because the dealer does not have the part. Let's just say another week goes that I do not have a boat.

I began to break in my new power head. The boat is now running great. Or so I think. After the break in period I notice the boat is using a lot of oil, I guess that's better then no oil. I called the dealer and told them I was burning about 1 gallon of oil to every 10 gallons of fuel, that's about 7 times the normal amount of oil. So again I made an appointment. At least another week without my boat. These time the replace a recalled part and made a few adjustments.

Wow my boat was running great, at least for 3 months before the dreadful low oil sensor came back. My boat had more then enough oil so I continued. Every few outings this alarm would go off but no big deal. I took time off and went to the keys. The black anchor (Mercury) ran good for 17 miles before the low oil with the engine light. Well now she is in the shop and who knows for how long.

I have tried to deal with Mercury and nothing, has been solved. Maybe by writing this letter I can help anyone who is shopping for a new engine. I hope my history with Mercury will help you choose your next marine product or which one not to choose. Mercury will replace my engine if it's found to be unrepeatable, but in the modern age what is unrepeairable.

If you do buy mercury, do not forget duct tape, it comes in handy to cover up the alarm

See less See more
#4 ·
Don't know your particular States laws, (Hal=pmfisherman)

is the Atty here. But, assuming it's just the engine that's at issue, how large a claim can you bring into your States "small claims court?" Most States have a topper of several thousand dollars.

If enough, you can file yourself and make their life very, very,very interesting.
:devil:

fe

#5 ·
Horror stories

These stories come up time and again with Mercury motors. I hate to say this with all the money you have sunk into it but you may be better off just chunking it in the ocean and getting a Yamaha. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I ran a Mercury for 3 months once, never again.:mad:

#6 ·
Here's my story...
Purchased a new 18'cc with a Yamaha 115hp 2 stroke. Launched it the day I got it, 2 seasons ago, and aside from the dealer doing the winterization, it has not cost me a dime in repairs nor have I had any lost time.

Therefor; next motor will be a YAHAMA, (4 stroke this time)

#7 ·
Before you anchor your boat with the motor

Contact your state's Attorney General for whatever is offered, through them, in the Consumer Affairs and Business Regulations area (generally, through the A.G. in each state - search any state website by using, e.g., www.state.ma.us - other states pop this same way, and generally find their URL if you use this format) You may be required to perform certain acts of due diligence prior to any further actions against dealer or manufacturer. These steps are important to research through the Consumer Affairs sections of any state before filing actions in court. If one does NOT do 'homework' in this area, a claim could possibly be turned around and found in favor of a defendant.

#8 ·
I've heard the black anchor thing before but felt I should add my experience. Mike and I purchased a 1990 50hp Mercury last year and ran it hard all year round - we never stop fishing ;) . Seriously, we beat the living heck out of that thing and when we sold it last month it was still starting on the first turn of the key, purring like a kitten, and really got the boat moving.

#9 ·
For the record

I own a couple of black outboards, and one little white one. So far, the only trouble I have with my biggest black outboard is it's got a very cold heart and seems to want to be used a lot more than it is; beyond that, several years ago it's mag decided to take a vacation right at the beginning of vacation season. Nothing since, knock on wood.

I'm not suggesting that black motors are just for anchors, because I've always had good luck with them. I'm pushing the consumer rights thing because the dealer, and possibly the manufacturer, have a responsibility to the purchaser to NOT screw with him under whatever state law is in force due to his inconvenience.

#11 ·
Black Anchor alternatives...

Ouch! This experience sounds too painful to relieve even online. The irony is that a guide I fish with swears by Mercury outboards as the only motor he'd buy due to his mechanic's preference and his experience with their longevity. Go figure! Hey, anybody out there had any experience with the Honda or Nissan line of outboards that might share some perspective? Thanks, JB

#12 ·
This stinks no doubt about it. I guess I know deep down inside it could happen to any brand. Lemmons happen. the BIG issue is the response, or lack of it, by the dealer and company. If my '72 Johnson ever quits I know what Black brand I'll stay away from.
:tsk_tsk:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.