Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hello from Oregon

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Rick J 
#1 ·
I love to fish for Summer Steelhead on the North Umpqua river. I am not an expert by any means, but I do manage to catch one or two each year. I will be going back down on the North Umpqua in September for about 3 weeks. I am hoping to learn more about fly fishing for Summer Steelhead from some of the experts on this forum.

#3 ·
$$

Love the North Umpqua and 'camping' (we have a 32' motor home) at Susan Creek. Even better yet as it's a BLM campground you pay 'half price' with the Golden Age passport ($4.50/night for best place on the whole river!)

Vis a vis what's going on call the Blue Herron (Joe Howell) and he's got THE WORD. Even more interesting he's located (to be blunt) in the middle of 'nowhere' at 'Swiftwater.' But, that said, one of the most complete fly shops I've ever been in to date. Goodies I've found no where else ... last week cost me just under $150 to get out his front door. Think 'kid in a candy store with an empty credit card.'

Water right now is like bath water; save for the first morning it was wet wading for the rest of the 8 days. Even at day break it was so warm that it was 't-shirt' fishing. But then again, that makes the fish pretty 'dour.'

Only real fun was one morning where I thought we had 'dry fly players.' Interesting to see a 10-12 pound steelhead leap out of the water to take a blue dunn. Three huge swrils (sp?) behind your fly and a fourth to litterly LEPT over the darned thing. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.