Fly Fishing Forum banner

Steelhead Fly of the week – Iceberg

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Charlie 
#1 ·
The inventor of this fly, Keith Stonebreaker, created it for fishing the Deschutes River. Blue flies do not seem to be very common for steelhead. From what I understand this fly has been becoming popular in Idaho.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tail: Red hackle barbs
Rib: Oval silver tinsel.
Body: Pearl crystal chenille.
Collar: Blue hen hackle.
Wing: Dyed blue gray Squirrel tail.
Head: Black

See less See more
#2 ·
Charlie,

Although it has been a few years since I fished this fly (I prefer to use the classic featherwing Silver Blue instead), I found the Iceberg to be a very good fly in smaller sizes (#4-#8 true low-water, or #8-12 regular dress) when fished in mid-day with sun on the water in late summer/fall. Despite its usefulness in bright sun, low-water, mid-day fishing, it is another one of those flies that I've very rarely seen anyone use or even know about.

I first found out about this fly from Trey Combs and tied and fished it on the rivers around Forks back in 1991. I also found that a few strands (3-4 max) of light blue Krystal Flash under the wing increased its effectiveness. I also prefer to tie it with blue Flymaster thread.

A variation of it I found worthwhile to have is tying it in Irish Shrimp style thus:

Tip: Oval silver tinsel
Tail: long, webby red rooster neck
rear body: fl. blue floss
rib: oval silver tinsel
veiling: light blue Krystal Flash (top and Bottom)
mid-hackle: blue rooser neck, a bit long
front body: white Cystal Chenile
rib: small flat silver tinsel
veiling: dyed blue squirrel tail (top and bottom)
hackle: blue rooster neck, long
head: blue thread

#4 ·
Thanks for the insight Eric. Always good to hear different peoples experiences. I learn a lot that way.

And Russ, thanks for the ideas and new pattern. I will have to make up a few of them. Just printed it off so I don't forget. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.