Fly Fishing Forum banner

Steelhead fly of the week - Brad’s Brat

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Igor 
#1 ·
Enos Bradner invented this classic western steelhead pattern around 1937 for fishing the Stillaguamish in Washington. Bradner is the author of “Northwest Angling” and was the outdoor editor of the Seattle Times. His pattern continues to be a very popular steelhead pattern out west as well as in the Great Lakes.

Hook: Up eye salmon.
Tag: Flat gold tinsel.
Tail: White and orange hair.
Rib: Flat gold tinsel.
Body: rear 1/2 orange wool, front 1/2 red wool.
Throat: Brown hackle.
Wing: 2/3rd’s White under 1/3rd orange hair.
Head: Black.

Charlie

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Charlie,

Nicely done in the old style.

I tie mine in the modern style with hackle fiber tail because the hackle fibers make for a more streamlined and less bushy fly that I think swims better. I also use a very light and sparse wing that I tie in in two sections; I tie the white hair in first, then tie in and wrap the hackle, followed by the orange hair. This helps create the illusion of bulk without any real bulk, which lets a fair amont of light through the wing, something I think is more attractive to fish. It is also another one of those old hairwing steelhead flies that works very well when tied true low-water style.

#6 ·
brads brat

That is a beautiful fly and he was a cool guy.class!I remember reading his weekly piece in the paper when I was in college.A version I also like is the McNeese purple brat.Started using it on Deschutes{I always lean to some purple in a fly on that river.and a bright tag on the tail}.Caught my biggest ,hottest Skagit fish on one tied on a 3/0 Alec Jackson.We named that fish the Devilfish!Good memories!Thanks for stirring them!Beau

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.