Fly Fishing Forum banner

Chart for Chatham

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
What brand chart doyou use for Chatham? I have see the Maptech chart at West Marine which looks pretty good or do you use another brand. I have also seen a nice chart sold at Outermost Marine specificly for the Chatham area. Perhaps you don't use a chart at all. would like your input. I plan to take a basic navigation course at Charle River Kayak this Spring. FishHawk

#2 ·
...I found a nice waterproof chart by "National Geographic Maps" that covers the entire "Cape Cod National Seashore" http://www.colorado.com/trails 800-962-1643...
'Reasonably current with good detail but no sounding info.

There's another...Waterproof Chart #50E by Waterproof Charts Inc. www.waterproofcharts.com that has sounding info and presents all of Pleasant Bay down to the southern tip of South Monomoy that could be used to aid in boat navigation (but since the area changes so much/so often, local knowledge should definitely be utilized for safe passage!)...

Both have the "Chatham Break" and present a descent "big picture"...but for the most up-to-date information contact the Mayor of Chatham, the Right Honourable John Striblue.

#3 ·
Thank You.. most honorable Penguin... Fish hawk, I go dead reconning around Chatham.. but I glance at the regular nautical charts and have memorized the bouy locations... What I think is more important is understanding the tide flows and where they get fast and slow.. You don't have to really worry about draft with the Yak as I am sure you already know. Take a look at (I forget the Name) The pilot Book-yellow done on an annual basis.. But I have not found a chart or site except ,in the bigger picture..that book with tide movements.

#4 ·
Gang,
The pilot book john was referring to is the Eldridge Book which is published yearly since the 1800's. It's most useful since you can use it to determine (as John points out ) the timing of the changes in current flow along different sections of the Mass & RI coastlines. If you fish the rips, then you can't be without Eldridge. A tide chart just doesn't give you the complete picture.

As far as the 'charts' for the Chatham area it's almost impossible to keep a paper chart current. Even my GPS chartplotter shows me hard aground on Monomoy many times while I'm fishing in 20' of water.
If you are serious about getting accurate nav waypoints around the Chatham / Monomoy area you really have to invest some of your fishing time early in the season into logging in your routes and/or updating the channel waypoints for the key passages.

#5 ·
Bob,Thanks for reminding me of the name of that book.. but you are right about waypoints and Maps... When took a waypoint out on the shoreline of South Beach ,on the east side..my GPS showed that I was about 1/4 mile OUT to sea.The Map was a copy,on the GPS of an older shoreline.. it changes so much... The only acurate shoreline I got was on South Monomoy and the Light House cut.

#7 ·
Seeing the extent of shoreline changes year to year, or even storm to storm I can only imagine the changes where the forces of current are even more extreme out in the rips. Most general purpose maps (like DeLorme) don't even show recent formations like the Chatham break!

As a part-time shore guide I scope the formations regularly each year. Although things are subject to change thru the season it's those first couple of outings in the spring that define the major characteristics of the flats and channels each year. I've gone as far as staking 6' green landscaping stakes on the high points on a minus tide and worked my way back on the flood. The key is to get familiar enough to look for the same features and identify changes from trip to trip.

Sandy inlets with major flow change constantly and need to be checked out on a per-visit basis as well as an extra measure of caution. The tip of Nauset in Chatham is a perfect example of this. Walking out to the crescent shaped bar was an easy venture one day and hazardous a few days later. A deep trench on the north end was an easy crossing a few days later. I wish I was there the day the guy wrestled a BFT to submission in that spot!

Although just about everything changes on Brewster flats, Monomoy, etc - one thing surprisingly remains every year - the 30' Blue Hole. I even saw a topo from the 70's showing 30' depth. Amazing piece of natural inshore structure!

#8 · (Edited)
Eldridge Online

Thought I'd mention this since others may be interested. The Edridge folks have made the tide and current data available online:

http://www.tideware.com

The map "player" is a free with download including a sample map but you pay ~$20 for each region. It includes all the tide/current data from the book. The really cool stuff is that you can run the current/tide models graphicaly and get real-time display of how the currents move in relation to the rising and falling tides at the respective stations. I'm still trying to reconcile my memories with what the models say happens at the Monomoy Rips - I of course defer to Capt. George W. Very cool stuff!

My only gripe is that they put a chart boundary at Block Island which meant I ended up buying two downloads to cover the cape and LI Sound.:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.