Fly Fishing Forum banner

Nauset 28

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  boatdrinks 
#1 ·
Wow I was up looking at a couple of these in Orleans over the weekend and they are gorgeous. I love my boat but it's fun to look at these guys. That cockpit is huge and looks like it would be great for flyfishing in the rips with her clean transom. I also like the single diesel. Has anyone ever been on one of these?? I would name her "Orca II"

#2 ·
Mike

Only been on at the yard and at a couple of boat shows. Would love to hear from someone who knew how they handled in rough water.

They had the 28' at this years NE Boatshow in Boston and my wife and I spent a little time onboard. My wife loved the boat and I have to admit that if I won Lotto I would probably buy one.

Dan

#5 ·
The Nauset 28's look like great boats with a great working stern. Does anyone know if the diesel engine is located in the stern or more centered. Also remember that she is only 28ft and the flying bridge model will not sit well while trolling or at anchor in a cross swell, she will be extreamly top heavy and roll like a mother. The express cruiser would be the way to go. In some ways the express reminds me of the great Bristol bass boats or Cuttyhunk bass boats of my days fishin stripa's. I didn't read the website, does she have a little Yanmar 3 banger in her? If I was living on the cape this is the boat I would own. She may not be fast but she sure would sound good going out to the rips. I can see me now, white pressed long sleeve shirt, Kaki pants, white scully top side, white leather boat shoes and a good cigar at the helm. Boat decked out with all types of bass gear. I really miss those days running around in boats like this looking for big bass on bright blue Sunday mornings, church my man, church!

#6 ·
OC

The engine is located amidships under a flush deck in the pilot house. Most of these boats seem to favor diesels in the 200 HP to 300 HP range. But even with the larger engines they are not fast. My guess is that the max cruise is in the range of 18 kts. with a top speed around 21+ kts..

Dan

#7 ·
Yeah I think the standard engine in the 300 hp yanmar straight 6. It's up by the helm with a straight screw. The fly bridge will probably make her roll some but with that 0 deadrise displacement hull and keel to offset the flybridge I bet it won't be any worse than other boats. Yeah I would love to cruise around in one of these. Such classic looking boats. I love the open cockpit and transom for flyfishing. Not your classic fly boat but I think she'd be great in the rips since you you point her into the current fish off the uncluttered transom. I agree you definitely need some great outfits and cigars to make that ride complete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.