Fly Fishing Forum banner

Gaula River, Norway

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Peter Terndrup 
#1 ·
Hi all,

in a couple of weeks I´ll be at Gaula river in No. Has anyone gone there in this month? Any recommendation for flies, lines or rods. Thanks in adv.

Cheers

Jose:cool:

#2 ·
Hi Jose

I was fishing the Gaula in week 28, and had a fantastisk week. I was fishing above Støren.
My friend and I got 24 salmon for the week and most of them was between 12 to 20 lbs.
We did get a lots of fish on Black Sheep, Sunray Shadow, Phatakorva, Green Highlander and Green Machine.
If you are there in august you shut bring some Allys Shrimps. They can be really good. Also Bombers can be good if the water is warm and low.

I know from friends who are there now, that they often have rain so the river wnt up and down all the time. They have caught quite all right this week.

#3 ·
Hi Peter,

thank you for your answer. You had a good week!!
I need tying Ally´s shrimps but my boxes are full of bombers, hope I can use them succesfully. Rain is nice for salmon rivers, here in Spain now we have a very dry season and the pools are very shallow, hard to fish.
When back I´ll post the results, and happy if the score is half as yours... Regards,

Jose

#8 ·
Gaula!

Hi Jose,

two of my friends are fishing the Gaula at the moment. The River is pretty shallow at the moment, but there is little rain to come. They use single-hand rods or short double hand rods(12-12, 6 feet # 8-9) and very small flies (double hooks size 12-14 or small tubes 1/4 inch) on a floating line.
Patterns:Thunder and lightning, Red Butt, Black & Silver

They have cught a few fish (2-28 pounds), mainly in the Night.

Check out www.gaula.no

Tl,

bone

#10 ·
Hi all,

I´m finally back from Norway. The river was very low and the fishing hard. The results 2 salmon and other two lost. Small flies, Green Highlanders during the day and black tubes in the evening. NFC pools are great but the rain was not with us... Tha record for the week was 20 pounder male. Cheers

Jose

#11 ·
Welcomme back! Jose

Lowwater in august on the the Gaula is allways difficult, but atleast you caught a few. I know a few who fished the same part of the Gaula and they went blank for the week.
Despite the lowwater on the last half of the season, its seems to be a good year, and it will not surprise me if the total catch is around 40 tons.

Yes! The NFC water is nice.

Where they fresh with sealice or had they bin in the river for a while?

#12 ·
Hi Peter,

the first one was a brownish male and the second was a silver female with no sealice, but there were caught some grilses ith sealices.
The guides told me that the best option in low water was to cast just to the opposite bank, almost 90º and retrieve the fly in short strips, like a streamer. The four takes come doing this. I also tried with bombers and riffling tubes but...
I´m planning to go back next year, but earlier, maybe end of june/july with higher level river, to try for monsters of the Gaula. When you see the pictures and listen to the stories of epic battles with big salmon there, you realize why this river is so famous. Cheers,

Jose

#13 ·
Hi Jose

Nice to hear that you got some fish. The fishing in Gaula was difficult here i august. Did hear from several fishermens who normaly have had some good weeks, that they went blank or got only a few.

Gaula in june can be fantastic. Not so many salmon, but they can be big. If you want to try early, then you maybe want to try below the Gaulfoss. Normaly the salmon is stopped by the foss until the watertemp is over 7 gr celsius.
If you have low water in june you can fish the entire river with great succes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.