Fly Fishing Forum banner

Grass Shrimp

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  rooster 
#1 ·
Tied on a sz. 1 37160; materials are SLF dubbing, 50-lb. mono eyes coated in black nail polish and Soft Body, a pair of "expendable" strung hackle quills for antennae, thread to match dubbing, Thin Skin cut to form back, and 10-lb. mono to form the "rib". While the one pictured is tied in brown, I'm working on orange, cream, chartreuse, and pink versions. These take about 5 minutes each to tie, not too bad.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Yup, the 37160 is a Mustad. The bendback design of the hook tends to make it want to ride with the point up, which would cause this fly to ride upside down, so I tied in a dumbbell near the shrimp's head on the bottom of the shank. Still plenty of gap left for hooking a fish, and because this one rides point down I don't have the concern about hooking a fish near the brain (this was recently discussed on another thread). Thanks for the kind words... now if I could just get down to the beach to give this one a try...

#7 · (Edited)
I've started lashing a very thin strip of craft foam to the top of the shank from the eye up to just behind the mono eyes; this is to get the fly to ride point-down without adding the dumbbell eyes. Pictured is a pink version...

I have also tied one of these up on a size 8 barbless bendback hook made by Tiemco (on clearance at the local FF shop 2-for-1); would be perfect for bones and permit.

Attachments

#8 ·
Beautiful looking shrimp.
I have used some scud patterns out West in our tailwater fisheries and I think I will upgrade my patterns to reflect some of your ideas. Thanks.
Have you used this pattern much off Cape Cod area?
Thanks for taking the time to put these patterns on the net.
DK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.