Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cross eyed cones

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Hawkeye 
#1 ·
Has anybody tied any pattern's with these yet ? If so what is the trick to get them to stay straight .Thank's Fish-head

#2 ·
A base of thread must be built underneath the cone's cavern. The thread base must snug up against the cone to insure it is stationary once put in place. To insure the cone doesn't rotate, a coating of super glue or epoxy over the thread prior to pushing the cone onto the thread would be added insurance.

This conehead type weight is used on Popovics' Jiggy fly for saltwater flies. In my opinion, it is somewhat heavy and a bear to cast on anything lighter than a 10wt. Juro's use of more material vs. weight on his Real Eel may eliminate the "kick" that I get from this pattern, a technique that I must try.

#3 ·
I can't remember who it was I saw do a presentation at the Marlboro show but a significant portion of his talk/demonstration had to do with the balance of weight and materials to get the best casting effect. I think it would be more accurate to think about wind resistance rather than amount of material as that is what kills the "kick".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.