Fly Fishing Forum banner

Two Years Ago......

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  fishinfool 
#1 ·
It seems like only yesterday. It was a day much like today. My life, like all others changed. On that day I lost 343 brothers.

In the weeks that followed, I dug. And when I couldn't dig any more, I went to funerals. The last one was just a week ago.

I think about those who died that day. I ask why. There is no good answer to that question. Perhaps they died in order for us to live. To live the way we are supposed to live. To embrace life every day. To value good friends and family. To take nothing for granted. And to move on.

In two years I have learned a great deal. I have gained great respect for those who have been left behind. I see their strength... and I am moved. I see young men and women in uniform...and I am proud. I see old friends... and I am happy. I see my wife and children... and I am blessed. I have gained great respect for many things. And I've never looked at a 5 gallon bucket the same way again.

I wish to ask a favor of all who see this. The next time you see a fire fighter or a police officer, remember why they are there. We run in when every one else runs out. And remember, the life we value the most is yours.

The soap box has now been put away.

See less See more
#2 ·
[Don't put it away please. In fact, nail it into place.]

Two years ago today saw the worst of humanity.

Over the past 2 years, I personally have seen the best.

To the families of those affected by 9/11/01, I hope they experience the kindness and generosity I have experienced from people here and elsewhere in life.

Please take a moment to reflect on those we love and loved, and for those who fight for our freedom.

#3 ·
The soap box is now being pulled back out...

I don't have the eloquence to convey how I really feel about this day. Jimmy's right...it seems like only yesterday my work mates and I were staring at television screens, mouths agape, watching the carnage.

Whether you agree with how the war on terror is being fought, whether you agree with our deployment of troops to various locations overseas, whether you think any of our allies are really by our side....let's just put those opinions aside for a day, and take this day for what it is.

A day of rememberance for those who were lost, and hopes of protection for those fighting for our way of life here and abroad.

#5 ·
Jimmy, et. al -

Couldn't help choking up reading this, it was a horrible day and the only good as you said was what it has brought out in us as a people and a nation.

I remember having just moved my daughter into her dorm and not knowing just what was happening... were buildings in major cities being attacked and destroyed? She was on the umpteenth floor of a tower, cell communications were jammed, no phones, only one-way communications from television and radio telling me what I didn't want to hear. As I was about to leave work to search for her and bring her out of the city my wife and I became clearer headed as we learned what exactly was happening and as we learned that the university staff had already called classes off as a precaution.

My sister had moved to California with her husband away from her apartment within reach of the rubble in NYC less than 48 hours before. But so many were not so lucky.

Then came the anger, the rage; held in check by pride in who we are. Jimmy I can't say I've felt it as you have at ground zero but I feel it brother, and I thank you and your brothers for all you've done.

We can take a little pride in the words "let's roll", brave to the end, staring into the beady eyes of evil. I'd be in that group making the charge to the cockpit for sure.

God bless America.
9/11/03

#6 ·
Jimmy, God bless you, your family and your brothers.

On September 10, 2001, I flew to Smithers B.C. The next morning an early telephone call from my wife told me of the terrorist bas---ds' actions.

My wife was terrified, and there was no transportation for me back to California. For some unexpected reason Verizon's analog cell service was excellent deep in the Bulkley's canyons, and this provided a constant link to my family.

Two things I'll never forget about 9/11:
•video of firemen running up flights of stairs in the WTC, and
•a Canadian fisherman approaching me 9/13, asking if I were American. When I replied yes, he grasped my hands in his, looked me straight in the eye and said "we are with you."

My wife placed large circular magnetic signs on her car September 2001 which are there today saying "9/11/01 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!"

My eyes moisten as I recall these events. Many thanks Jimmy for sharing your thought with us.

God bless the USA.

#7 ·
Yes, its hard to believe two years have passed...

On Friday September 8th 2001 I recieved a phone call from a young lady at Waters telling me that they had to withdraw the complimentary tickets for their 9/11 conference since it was oversubscribed. And so, that morning, I was in my office at 200 Park Avenue whilst she and so many colleagues from my industry looked out across New York harbor from Windows on the World at the top of the World Trade Center.

May God bless them and their families and all of those who gave and lost so much.

Thank you Jimmy and to your brother Firefighters and Police Officers who put themselves in harms way on our behalf every day.

#8 ·
I too was in Smithers, actually in a gunk hole a few miles downstream, fishing with my best friend who just happened to turn 60 on 9-11-01. When we went back to the golf course/R.V. park a day after the cowards infamy and found out what had happened we were simply devastated. Cut our trip short and came on home the next morning. As Juro said, it did make me proud to be an American when folks rallied the way they did. My prayers to all who were directily effected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.