Fly Fishing Forum banner

changing a reel seat

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  andre 
#1 ·
Hey guys I need some direction on swapping a reel seat on a Two Hander. The foot on the reel won't fit and the reel is worth more than the rod.

thanks

andre

#2 ·
Andre,

I would suggest hacksawing the reel seat in a spiral and then "peeling" it off. Some heat may be required to soften the bonding agent/glue.

Obviously, you would have to remove the bottom handle but, as the taper is relatively steady at this point on most blanks, a new one could be made, reamed and slid on from the bottom of the blank.

I have not tried this myself but did put the same question to a rod builder of considerable experience and that was the answer he gave to me. I'm thinking about doing the same to two rods that I own. One is a badly balanced single hander that I think would make an ideal switch/short spey rod(11ft). So I'll have to strip the whole handle and probably the stripper guide off it.

If I get round to it soon, I'll let you know how I get on.

#3 ·
I've done this too. It helps to clamp the rod in a shop vise by its reel seat or lower grip; you don't have to worry about damaging them. Make a spiral cut with a hacksaw; I hope that neither end of the reel seat is buried under the upper handle. It helps to use two pliers to pull the sawed-through reel seat apart. Carefull; they're sharp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.