Fly Fishing Forum banner

Boneclavers dilema...

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Eddie 
#1 ·
At the boneclave I will most likely be spending about 4 days camping with my boat anchored up. I am a trailer boater so the boat has never sat in the water overnight and always gets cleaned after each trip. Saying I am anal about its appearance is a gross understatement. It still burns me when I see one tea stain that is barely visible and under the boat. What can I do besides giving it a fresh waxing to prevent any staining or growth on the boat? I think I remember reading somewhere that there is an anti-fouling wax but not sure that is what I am looking for considering the amount of time I will be in the water. I am thinking scum lines will be more of an issue. Maybe an enviornmentally friendly soap and a brush and give it a quick saltwater scrubbbing.

Thanks,

Sean

#4 ·
Sean
4 days should not give you too much problems. Also there is a product (by 3M I think) that takes growth off easily & quickly. FWIW I don't have bottom paint either and the 3m product get's the hull looking like new. (I'll try to find the exact name for you)

#5 ·
I'll bet it tasted even better in those surroundings!

On topic, I wonder if there's a good polymer wax for boat hulls out there. It's been a long time but I used to apply polymers to cars for cash on the side. The rust resistance and finish protection was pretty amazing. In fact the dealership guys had me do their own private cars after the customer testimonials.

After a quick google search it would seem that there are some with names like Liquid Glass and Kiss-Cote. I have no direct experience with them since I sold my boat and won't own another until the kids are past college age.

#6 ·
Based on responses here and elsewhere it sounds like I am worried about nothing. I have been pretty happy with the Collinite Insulator wax and there pre wax hull cleaner is some sweet stuff. For the decks I think Woody Wax is top notch including their metal sealer for the brightwork. I guess that long weekend will be the real test.

Sean

#13 ·
FWIW, I've found that the FSR - fiberglass stain remover works well and being a gel it doesn't drip all over the trailer like the other more corrosive hull cleaners. I had the boat over at Washburn for 5 days this Summer and it was one nasty looking rig when I pulled it. I'm not too picky about the looks, a little off color doesn't bother me but growth is another matter. FSR did the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.