Fly Fishing Forum banner

Offshore Aquaculture Bill......

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jamie 
#1 ·
Senator Lisa Murkowski (R), Alaska has introduced a bill S 796 calling for strict controls on the establishment of any Offshore Aquacultuer operations. The bill calls for every applicable Federal agency to have oversight and for the Regional Fishery Councils and State Goverments to have Veto approval too. Check it out on the Senates website.
I already wrote wrote Senators Murray and Cantwell voicing my support and trying to enlist there aid in passage of the legislation.

#2 · (Edited)
Not good

Experience of these in Europe shows this is a dark road to head down regardless of legislation. This is not just for the well publicised salmon debacle but also the fact that farming of pelagic species in the Mediterranean around Greece is proving to have a very negative impact on the local ecosystem.

I have long admired the methods of aquaculture and legislation in the US. The containment of farmed species onshore and away from natural water sources is enlightened and one with a high capacity for environmental safety.

The recently published Southwick Study, demonstrated that this is a workable and cost effective solution which safeguards the natural fish stocks.

I would encourage these methods to your Representative or Senator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.