Fly Fishing Forum banner

Winter Flies / Colours / Sizes

6K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  Jamey McLeod 
#1 ·
Now that we're getting to the days cold, clear, low waters -- just wondering what people like to use in these conditions.

I don't have a picture of the fly, but a small, yellow wet similar to this one:

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/steelheadwet.jpg

has worked for me quite well on the Credit River in these conditions. Though yellow patterns don't seem to be a high on the steelhead fly dressers list of favourites, it has worked for me with some consistency.

Some rivers get associated with a particular colour fly -- purple is the big hit for the Grand, but I wonder if this is mostly due to the predominant water colour. The Grand is usually stained through the Brantford/Paris/Caledonia stretch so big and purple usually works. Once the staining reduces, lighter colours work well. Pink and purple is also a good colour combo for the murk. I've been told a number of times that red & black are good colours for this stretch but that's a combo that's never worked for me.

The milky green colour of the Catt seems to favour pink flies while the slight olive stain of the Credit seems to fit yellow/chartreuse.

Always makes me wonder if there are relationships between flies, water, sunlight, and time of year, or is it a case of anglers fishing flies they believe in and then rationals are built around why they work . . . . :confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
Purple and Black have both been strong producers for me in murky water, and Olive and White are my top colors for more clear water. I definitely agree with the idea that my confidence in a fly plays a major role in how successful I am with it!

#6 ·
As you guys know

As you guys who have been reading some of my posts know, I am relatively new to the swinging thing, on a recent trip to the Salmon River in extremely high water, I had a moment of insanity and grabbed the single hander. Reqretted it all day. I can no longer return to those days as the only fish hooked was on the swing after bouncing a large nymph through the pool. Also saw two fish hooked on the long rod that day. I have developed some speys based on patterns I used to chuck and duck like a prince nymph tied with long spey like legs and some rubber legged stones to swing for the winter. I am interested in the results and for input on winter patterns. Thanks
Shaq

ps: Also saq a fish hooked at6 the end of a swing, while the fisherman was pumping the rod back and forth at the end. About 15 sec of this back and forth motion and the fish grabbed it. Right accross the river from me, got a good look for the whole thing. It was cool

#7 ·
Peter

Take a look at the fly I posted on the fly archive titled "red fly". This will also get used quite a bit in cold water. I have fished the petite series on the Salmon River when the fish were skittish.

Shaq,

That pumping is similair to the hangdown, Although he fishes with a single handed rod, Lani Wallers old videos are one of the best how tos on the wet fly swing. He definitely advocates the hang down and twitches the fly to try to entice a strike. he uses the line in his hand rather than pumping the rod, but it produces the same effect. I have heard and read guys letting there fly stay in the hang down for up to a minute to wait for the strike of a steelhead that may have followed in cold water.

Gillie

#9 ·
I use one that is almost identical to the one that Gillie posted. The white and purple. They work great on the Catt., lower Niagara and most of the Ontario tribs. I also like the Picasse if the water is low and clear.

Peter,

Scored well with your "Brown Trout Weamer" this past weekend. The water was very cold in the trib I fished (high 30's) but they still took it well. Finally got a chance to tie some up and fish them. Just the standard version, haven't put them on tubes yet.

Charlie

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
Ever try to make a fly and nothing works? Spent some time this evening trying to make a yellow fly for those cold, olive stained conditions and crap came off the vise. Still, it gives a general idea as to what I'm after.

Kicking around this idea that flies that are too bold will spook fish in clear, cold conditions so I'm trying to get something that is "subdued, bright" as opposed to just bright. The spey hackle on this fly is just way too bright. Looking to make something that says "yellow" without saying "YELLOW".

Attachments

#17 ·
Gillie,

Whenever I fish with my good friend Bob Arnold, he does the same thing Lani Waller does at the end of a wet fly swing, summer or winter, either floating or sink tip line, even though he never mentions doing this in his two books. Bob told me he picked it up from George McCleod's father Ken and then found it mentioned in Kelson's book years after he learned to do it from Ken McCleod. I've also seen George McCleod and Russ Miller (another long time WA state steelheader) do the same thing in early summer before mountain runoff is over with a sinking line and wet fly.

#18 ·
Flytyer,
It is the little subtleties like the hang down that many GL guys are just starting to add in. I had a conversation last season with a friend of mine because he was always making his next cast half way through his swing. His rationale was that the holding spot was out mid river behind some boulders. We debated whether fish would follow from the lie. Although he is a committed spey rodder and wet fly swinger he still has some of that nymphing mentality engrained upon him. He was convinced that if the fish didn't take initially it wouldn't follow. It also demonstrated the notion that he continues to fish the bucket or holding lie rather than covering the water. He has changed his tune a bit as he has seen me take two nice fish this fall with my line hanging straight downstream on this run.

I will acknowledge right away that GL fish tend not to move and follow as much as PNW fish do. I have much more confidence in this technique when fishing the Deschutes in Sept then the Salmon River in Jan. This is simply a matter of water temperature. But when they do follow they tend to be a little sluggish and often the hang down has to be extended to give them time to take.

For anyone interested in this technique (although it is not complicated) I would again reccomend Waller's videos. I'm sure there is a sponsor who has them.

Gillie

#20 · (Edited)
Gillie

In warmer weather, I'm like your friend -- if the fish hasn't hit after the fly has "turned the corner" then it isn't going to hit. I can only think of one solid take in the past year or so that occurred on the dangle in water in the 40s or higher. I started out as a firm believer in letting the fly work on the dangle but that technique has only resulted in takes when fishing the Credit River in the middle of winter (it's one of the few easily accessible Southern Ontario rivers that has an all-year open season on one stretch and is likely to have ice free periods).

This past November, every single hookup occurred as the fly "turned the corner" and none on the dangle. Sometimes I'd leave it there and sometimes I'd pick it up sooner -- no change. I also pick up very slowly at first, just in case there's a following fish and he grabs it as the fly lifts -- didn't get a single take. I fish mostly minnow patterns so this may have an effect as well. So, now I'm only using the delayed dangle and/or the lift and drop in cold weather. I'll be out Sunday so I'll try the slow swing and long dangle to see if it picks up any hits.

#21 ·
Greetings from new member - Hayward, WI

Howdy from Hayward

I have just found this forum and have been enjoying the discussions. I am glad to be aboard.

I am a dedicated fly swinger and look forward to sharing info with fellow GL anglers. I live just south of the south shore of Lake Superior and fish the Tribs as often as I can. I also travel to fish the Wisconsin and Michigan tribs of Lake Michigan.

I guide and teach fly fishing full time April thru November so this time of year is my time to travel and play. I love the winter fishing. I have been at it only a few years in the winter season but have formed some opinions based on my constant tinkering.

I like to swing progressively larger flies as the water bottoms out in temp. Last season I had success with articulated patterns - skagit minnows and my own tie I call a double muddler. These patterns push 10" long and move like a high dollar pole dancer. They really catch the currents and can be controlled well.

Most of the fish I have hooked have come on the hang down and most grab like a wet piece of carpet. The rod just starts to bend to the water and then the shake starts. It is cool to watch it all happen - very deliberate and slow.

I know guys who report more agressive responses but this is what I have experienced.

I am heading over to the Oconto north of Green Bay early this next week. Any fellow fly tossers out there that might be interested in sharing some time out on the water? I write for Midwest Fly Fishing and am traveling 'On Assignment' for an article and some images for an upcomming issue (Feb).

Glad to be a part of the board.

See you on the water.

#23 ·
welcome

Welcome aboard, Afton Angler. Good to have you. This is a great place to get answers to your questions and follow in discussions about rigs, rods, lines, and methods. We seldom all agree; however, we generally disagree agreeably. Hope you enjoy your subscription. Best to you, Stiver

#24 ·
AftonAngler said:
Howdy from Hayward

I have just found this forum and have been enjoying the discussions. I am glad to be aboard.

I am a dedicated fly swinger and look forward to sharing info with fellow GL anglers. I live just south of the south shore of Lake Superior and fish the Tribs as often as I can. I also travel to fish the Wisconsin and Michigan tribs of Lake Michigan.

I guide and teach fly fishing full time April thru November so this time of year is my time to travel and play. I love the winter fishing. I have been at it only a few years in the winter season but have formed some opinions based on my constant tinkering.

I like to swing progressively larger flies as the water bottoms out in temp. Last season I had success with articulated patterns - skagit minnows and my own tie I call a double muddler. These patterns push 10" long and move like a high dollar pole dancer. They really catch the currents and can be controlled well.

Most of the fish I have hooked have come on the hang down and most grab like a wet piece of carpet. The rod just starts to bend to the water and then the shake starts. It is cool to watch it all happen - very deliberate and slow.

I know guys who report more agressive responses but this is what I have experienced.

I am heading over to the Oconto north of Green Bay early this next week. Any fellow fly tossers out there that might be interested in sharing some time out on the water? I write for Midwest Fly Fishing and am traveling 'On Assignment' for an article and some images for an upcomming issue (Feb).

Glad to be a part of the board.

See you on the water.
Welcome !......................nice Muskie, enjoyed the profile :biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.