Fly Fishing Forum banner

Kauai Report

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
Jet lagged but rested:D

Our week in paradise was punctuated by some very heavy rain showers - I'm begining to get the feeling that "I put the Rain in Tropical Rain forest" :rolleyes:

The trade winds blew their seasonal best whilst we were there too - 15 - 30 mph - but they were no match for my 12wt:devil:

I did get out a couple of times to fish some inshore reef flats. These are not flats in the traditional sense but large expanses of coral bottom shallows stretching out to sea for as much as a mile in some parts where the surf line is found. When the sun shines this can be good sight fishing country. I did a bit of research before the trip and Kauai has more sandy beaches and reef structure than the other Hawaiian islands being older geologically.

Annini beach on the North shore close to Hanalei where we stayed is a great place to check out. I didn't see any bonefish whilst I was there but having seen them on similar structure at Christmas Island I'm betting they get onto these "flats" at certain times of the tide. I didn't venture out to the surf line on my own either - surf was too high - but that's usually where most of the action can be found.

I did pick up a few small bluefin trevally which are stunningly beautiful plus a few other multi-colored reef species which I couldn't identify. The wierdest yet - a 28inch pipefish - competely crushed my clouser minnow and as I released it I wondered what the IGFA fly rod record might be:(

Unfortunately the local commercial chap who I had swappped emails with was away trying to make a living somewhere so we didn't hook up. I did get out for a couple of bluewater trips which I will post on the bluewater board later when I get the pics back.

Since this is an annual trip (and not an official fishing trip) - so next year will add to the knowledge gained this year.

There is almost nothing written on fly fishing out there but lots of great stuff about the various beaches including info on things like channels and other structure where the "currents are strong and you should not swim or snorkel". Read that as potential fish holding area with little or no disturbance. ;)

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the report Adrian.Glad to hear you got into some fish,and that you took the right rod for the wind(which my brother in law did not!).

What do you think about the area as far as future flyfishing oportunities?If there were some experienced guides that catered to the flyfisherman,or at least guys who would let you flyfish from their boat instead of insisting on trolling huge gear,do you think the place has potential?I would think that in the next 5-10yrs there will bound to be some guides expanding into this area of fishing.Too much money to be made for them not to.

#4 ·
Tony

I dont see the area challenging Christmas Island or Midway Atol (still in business?) as a premier fly fishing destination but there is probably potential for enterprising charter captains to widen their clientel by offering something for experienced fly anglers looking for a new challenge.

The trade winds are a constant factor - you can expect 10-20 mph as standard with 30mph not unusual and the swells gets very bumpy real fast. That can lead to frustration and potentialy dangerous situations with heavy fly-lines and big hooks combined with an inexperienced angler and (in terms of technique) inexperienced crew!

Inshore reef fishing could be great to exceptional if seas allow a smaler boat to get close enough in safety - the locals throw small dark plugs right into the white foam at the base of the cliffs to hook up with 100lb+ Giant Trevally. I came across a couple of locals with throw nets when I was shore fishing and based on the size of the mesh they were targetting some decent sized fish. These guys were subsistence fishermen looking to feed their family. One of those guys might be tempted to take up shore guiding to supplement his income.

It will be interesting to see how things develop. I'll certainly never go back without my flyrod :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.