Fly Fishing Forum banner

South Beach 7/21

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jfbasser 
#1 ·
Amy and I ventured to SB yesterday. Were able to pick up a total of 7 fish....her 4 1/2 and me....3/1/2. The halves were long line releases :) All fish in the 18 to 22" range. Was outdone again, to no one's surprise :smokin: Didn't see more than 50 fish all day.
All fish taken (on sparse 3" sandeel patterns) ONLY 1 hour prior to low and 1 hr. into the incoming. Fish during this period were aggressive as heck! Only took one quick 2 ft strip of the fly. All caught fish were at the junctions of individual flats and the dropoff. The rest of the time, we spotted only singles that had no interest in even looking at a fly.
Saw, for us, a rare event.....10 minutes after we were dropped off, Outermost dropped off about a dozen school goers. We have never saw people that Orvised before :D Given our equipment.....Sage rod, Lampson and Tioga reels, Wollf and Airflo lines, LLBean waders.....we high-tailed out of there before we were noticed :hihi: Seriously.....it was great to see the excitement on the faces of people new to the sport :)
All in all a great day!
Ron

#2 ·
Good report... it is interesting about the School... I have done one last week, helped out as an instructor ... It is encouraging to see the interest from people..but remember...you have to like "fishing" to like flyfishing...and you have to have put in the long hours and the cold and rain and the skunkings... and then you still go back for more. A lot of this goes back to when you were small and with your father (or mother)... and where, even though bored at times as a kid, you were getting something that was growing inside...something that would come back.... when you were ready...so it is good to learn about flyfishing and hopefully many will stay with it...but sometime I think that many will not because they are just checking it out..seeing what all the hoopla is about. Then there are others who really want to go forward. But you have to pay the piper and put in the hard days, dig the hook out of your finger, walk the 5 miles plus, get over seasickness in a boat.... just my thoughts.

#3 ·
I agree with you John. Fishing takes time, work, dedication, patience and the ability to deal with and learn from failure esp. in fly fishing. Thinking of the days I spent fishing with my father and in talking with Amy......at least for us, it's not just the love of fishing that keeps us coming back again and again.....it's the time spent talking together about non important things, the love of the environment and especially with fly fishing.....just wanting one heck of a challenge! After a while, it's not about... "can I catch a fish".....it's can I catch a fish this way" :)
Just love it!!!!
Ron

#4 ·
Interesting thoughts John. Of the friends I have given informal flyfishing lessons to, there are some who, when I go out with them again, haven't bothered to even learn the knots. Then there are some that I fish with later and they know five of six more things that they've learned on their own.... I tend to give up on the former, but the latter, they seem to stick right with it. You can usually tell right away...

#5 ·
It's infectious....

John-while I have definitely not got in the hours you have, I do feel a distinct sense of dysphoria (bordering on outright depression) when I know I have other things on my schedule that are going to keep me from joining you and the crew on the 8AM Rip Ryder....I have the "bug", and have refused treatment from my partner/primary care doc!!!! See ya at the Boneclave (if not sooner)!!!
Doc Shep :D

#6 ·
Doc... The fact that you have that "bug" is so obvious it's contagious! I hope you can get out... keep in mind that I will be off next week and then down for 2 weeks starting August 9...so if you can get away during the week..let me know.

#9 ·
Too bad, Fluff. I may venture in to work myself so you don't feel bad. What's with the Tiger lately? I hear that he needs you back, offered you big bucks, but you refused so you can continue carrying Stri's rod bag :chuckle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.