Fly Fishing Forum banner

South beach- 7/11

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  FishHawk 
#1 ·
Took the 8 am Rip Ryder to South Beach after stopping by to see Juro, FredA. and JFBasser fishing at the light house.... went down to check to make sure they had their special Chatham saltwater fishing licenses...JF wanted a sip of my coffee...naturally I said what anyone would... I said NO. Anyway, bumped into Paxton on the shuttle and I headed over to the ocean.... much bird activity and I could see sand eels being taken by them..... there must have been about 500 boats off south beach all along the horizon..... Picked up 6 fish ,all low to mid 20's... good morning considering I left on the 11:15 shuttle back.

#2 ·
Stri, I will be in the area tomorrow morning. I may need a Latte delieverd to the light. I will let you know. After checking our licenses, Stri was seen comparing his specially tailored Ex Officio shirt with Fred's standard issue. I like Fred's much better. :razz:

#3 ·
John....Going surfside today was a good move.....Garry and I saw a total of 20 fish on the flats, wind was howling, choppy, visibility poor....got skunked....went surfside for a bit around 1....wind even worse than the flats. Flagged down Keith around 2 and we were grateful for his rescue :)
Will try again mid week pending weather esp. wind direction.
Congrats on the fish.....you may have been the only person who was successful today!
Ron

#4 ·
re: the boat armada...

Commercial season started at midnight...
And they won't be happy until all the big fish are gone...
30 x 34" and up per day...
Unless they make a second run when no one is looking...
Sneaky bastards! :tsk_tsk:

#5 ·
It was great to see Stri, Basser and Juro at the light. I like my standard issue ExOffico also JF. Doesn't attract bees. I think Sunday sunrise services at the light ought to be a mandatory formation for the rest of the season for anyone in the area. Good to compare notes and the banter is always fun. After fishing we could join the yoga group, line up at the back.

After deciding the wind might be a bit much on the bayside Juro and I went to North Monomoy. wind wasn't any bargin on Common Flats either. Juro saw quite a few fish on the early drop and set me up on one but I blew the cast by about 18" then, I think, I pulled away as he tried to grab the fly. Lots of walkin and wading and got to see a couple Juro's of secret sauce spots (not sure I could get the timing right though), but no fish.

#6 ·
It has been my experience that the ones who have keen eyesight at least get a good shot at catching these difficult fish. I love the challenge. that's why I keep going back. Even thought I might not catch a fish at least I have tried over some of the most educated fish on the planet. You got to love it.
FishHawk :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.