Fly Fishing Forum banner

Here's the Summerrun fly swap flies

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  wrke 
#1 ·
Ok, here's the flies. Sorry about the picture. Still experimenting with my camera. May have to do upclose, they turn out better.

Going from top, left to right
First and second are Steelheader69, third is Nate Bailey
Middle left to right
First and second are Crusty, third is wrke
Bottom left to right
fredaevans, pmflyfisher, Terry D

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Jerry, thanks good picture, here is the history and tying instructions for my fly (bottom row, middle fly)

Hex Nymph - Natural Bead Head

Imitates the Hexigenia Limbata may fly species common to the Upper Midwest rivers and some other parts of the country. This is a primary part of the steelhead trout and salmons diet while in the rivers before smolting and leaving for the great lakes. This fly was developed in the 1970s and was one of the first flys used for steelhead in Michigan. Originally was called the Springs Wiggler. now has many variations. It can be tied in many color variations and various materials. The colors I primarily use for the body are cream, tan, fluor green. Very simple nymph to tie and can also be used for bass.

Sizes: 4 -10
Hook: Any longer shanked steelhead/salmon hook
Tail: Natural or olive dyed pheasant tail, or red squirrel tail
Shell Back: Natural or olive dyed pheasant tail or red squirrel tail
Body: crean, tan, or chartreuese fine chenile or Spirit river dubbing Hackle: brown or olive saddle hackle or emu feathers, cut off the fibres on top of the hook
Bead head or mono eyes are optional, this one has the bead head

Bead head or weighted hook is optional

An effective high colored water variation is tied with black squirrel tail and fluorescent hot pink body.

Fish this dead drift like any other nymph presentation, at end of swing a couple of twitches

I think you will find this effective on just about any trout and salmon river.

Caught my first steelhead 21 years ago with this fly and lost a big wild buck (13-15 lbs) on it the last day of this springs trip, can still envison his twisting 3 foot head shaking jump and ejection of the nymph back to me. :mad:

Good Luck !

Hal

#4 ·
Black Magic

The pattern I am submitting is my version of a fly called “Black Magic.” I received the material list for the fly from the Rogue Flyfishers when I was in Pendleton, OR. Didn’t start using the pattern until I moved up to the Puget Sound region and found that it worked great for steelhead and SRC, throughout the Pacific Northwest.

Pattern Originated by: Neil Selbicky
Material List as submitted for the Fly Swap:
Low water/dry fly hook, size = 4
Thread -- Black
Tag – flat silver
Tail – upturned golden pheasant crest
Body – black dubbing
Throat – dark purple hackle fibers (original calls for black hackles, but I like it better with purple)
Wing – black deer hair to a little past end of body
Topping – golden pheasant crest over to just past the end of the wing
Head – black thread

Anyways, the fly looks very fishy and my confidence rises every time I tie it on my line.

#5 · (Edited)
Dear God, mines so simple I'm almost embaressed to post it.

Depending upon the size/under-weight of the fly you want you'll use lead wire to sink the bugger.

Anyway, size 4-8 thin wire hook;
black thread;

Slide a bead head appropriate to the hook you're using;
then several wraps of waxed thread.

Tie in the lead wire and cover the shank from the bead-head to the top of the bend of the hook. Several wraps of waxed thread over the lead wire to lock it into place.

Body of the fly is then just a choice of "New Age Chenille" with rubber legs. The lower one I'll usually "V"so it looks like a tail, the middle one (or two given the size of the hook) will be done as regular legs. The top one works best if "Véd" forward to represent 'feelers.'

You can vary the pattern by putting the lower 2/3's in a lighter colour, and the top 1/3 in a darker colour. Changing the colour of the legs can also attrach Mr. Steelhead or Salmon. The three main leg colours I use are black, a bug green stuff you find on a lot of Bass plugs, or white. The white works best very early, or very late, in the day (remember I'm in Medford, were we don't get much in the way of overcast weather) where the high contrast of dark body/white legs seems to be an attention getter.

Usually fish these as a two fly set up; the heavy Otis Bug on top, with a size 8-12 trailer fly such as bead-head cadis, small single egg, etc. The trailer choice is a function of what's going on in the river at the time.

Simple, but darned effective combo for the Rogue.
fe

#6 ·
Flies arrived today. Good stuff. Following is a description of my fly:

Same Thing Murray:

Hook: several, but this is TMC 7989 low water
Tag: silver tinsel
Tail: red hackle fibers
Body: green floss over silver tinsel, followed by peacock herl
Underwing: lime green crystal flash
Wing: black squirrel or kid goat
Hackle: black
Head: red floss, followed by black ostrich herl, followed by black thread

I often use steelhead flies for Atlantic salmon and the reverse. This is an Atlantic
salmon fly I've used successfully for summer steelhead.

Bill (wrke)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.