Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pike on the Fly

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  capt_gordon 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanted to continue the Pike discussion away from the Pike fly swap thread.
I found the State of Mass. info on Pike and Tiger Musky stocking. here:
http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dfw/dfwpike.htm

It states:
These tables list waters where Northern Pike and Tiger Muskellunge have been stocked in the past decade. These 2 species of fish are stocked at 6-12" and require 3-5 years to attain the 28 " minimum legal length

That means those stocked in the Concord R. in 1995 are over 30" long!:eyecrazy:

I also went out at lunch and found an awesome boat launch on the Concord river in the Great Meadows area. This could be a fun challenge depending on the boat/jet ski traffic. Fishing at dawn should be quiet. What else do we need to know to pursue these beasts?

Lefty:eyecrazy:

#7 ·
So now you want teeth eh?

Let me know when. They were hittin 'em hard not far from where you're talkin about last month. Long as your leg with teeth like a dog. Then there's the TM's bigger an meaner. One came out of a lake in western MA 27+ lbs. at the end of the year.

I know of a better boat ramp too.

#9 ·
Hi Guys,

I catch lots of pike and a few tiger muskies in a slow, meandering stretch of a local river. The primo lure is . . . .

Are you ready for this . . . . a 1/8 oz beetle spin!

It's a small safety-pin style spinner with a 2" split-tail grub on a small jig head. Were talkin' tiny lures for good sized fish -- up to about 10# so far. No wire either! Almost always get hooked in the lip. I've watched them hit it and they just come up and nip the bait. munch, munch, munch. Feels like a perch nibbling on the lure.

Sort of odd behavior for a large predatory fish. I'm not sure what they think it is, but they definitely go for the grub and not the spinner. I'm looking forward to throwing some flies at them. Hmm . . . I wonder if I can tie a fly that looks like a beetle spin!

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.