Fly Fishing Forum banner

Margaree Dreaming

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Bugman 
#1 ·
Dear Friends,

Any news from Cape Breton would be greatly appreciated.

All the very best,

C.R.O.

#3 · (Edited)
Hi C.R.O,

Talked with Salmon Chaser (Dwayne) on Tuesday and he fished the lower pools of the Margaree on Sunday and Monday and hooked 7 fish and landed 5, biggest around 15 to 18 Lbs. The water came up on Monday afternoon to the point they could barely cross at the Forks Pool. The water has gone back down but with the hurricane coming up the east coast I amagine we will get another rise in water.

Thank you,
Alan Mills (salmonguy)

#4 ·
A Falling River

Hi Ann & Alan,

Yes Ann, the Margaree is a beautiful river. It has been a number of years since I have fished in the valley and am excited to be headed back. Heureux que vous avez été occupé cette saison. See you in June.

Alan. Great news for Dwayne. I would think the river should be at least a foot and a half higher by Sunday night.

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hu...tlantic&storm=Ophelia&imagetype=move&partner=

The prediction is for over an inch of rain from the storm headed up the US coast. Should make for an interesting situation by the middle to end of next week as the river falls. I am no expert on the Margaree but I am hoping the timing is right.

Thanks for the info,

Bill C. R. O.

#6 ·
Jim.
I would get in touch with Robert Anderson for info on the Phillip and also Danny Ripley at Riptide Tackle. i havent talked to anyone about the rivers you mentioned as they usually dont start to fish for another few weeks. I can give you contact info through an email if you wish.
As for Margaree, she was very good to me over a two day period with four salmon landed between 12lb and 15lb and one grilse as well as a ton of big brookies and one rainbow at Barracks :eek:
All reports were of fish spread throughout each pool and good water conditions.
The water raised three feet on the 12th and was still rising when i left at supper time. There have been scattered reports of rain in the highlands since then so i wouldnt be suprised if the fishing stayed consistent from here on out. Good luck for those who are fortunate enough to enjoy this fine river!!!
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>
Feel free to contact me off board if you are going and need a little more in depth info.

#7 · (Edited)
Margaree Reflection

Just when you think you have it all figured out Salar puts you back in your place. Even the old timers are scratching their heads on this one.

I went to the Margaree five days after a substantial raise of water in the latter part of September in search of fresh fish. I was sure I had it right. The many fish holding in the lower part of the river moved up stream and no fresh fish moved in from the ocean. The other part of the dilemma is the scarcity of male fish.

I did manage to raise a few fish to white muddlers and GP's(Jerome, I finnaly had a chance to use your fly’s. Had two fish take at the hatchery pool to one of your perfectly tied Generals.)

The Margaree is truly a Great Canadian River. She's up again today and maybe, just maybe, the brighties will decide to run. If you are going this week give the lower river some attention. If your going for the first time hire a guide.

C.R.O.

Attachments

#8 ·
Quote: "I would get in touch with Robert Anderson for info on the Phillip and also Danny Ripley at Riptide Tackle. i havent talked to anyone about the rivers you mentioned as they usually dont start to fish for another few weeks. I can give you contact info through an email if you wish."

Dwayne, thanks for the contacts! I'll be calling Robert Anderson, and we are VERY excited about our upcoming mystery tour! We're down for 6-7 days. We want to fish a few NS rivers and learn a few things. We'll be trying the Philip and the Margaree for sure, and we'll be 'exploring' some other rivers as the mood hits us.

Jim Corrigan :D :D :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.