Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pike minnows/squawfish??

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Hammer 
#1 · (Edited)
Is there a way to target the pike minnow/squawfish, with fly fishing gear? They are getting thick in the Descutes river where I fish.

They offer bounties on them in the Columbia River.

I simply would like to get rid of a few of them while having some fun.

They are know to be bad news for the salmon and steelhead smolts. Any thoughts???

Join me in the Attack on this predator fish in the Columbia River and pay for a new fly rod:

http://www.pikeminnow.org/index.html

My last trip to the Deschutes with some friends, my 9 year old, and his young kids up by the shears falls area is what promted this post.

With worms ( I know, I know). 3 young ones in the group that needed to catch a few fish.

Anyway, we caught 10 squawfish to each trout caught. Scarrry They are going to ruin a great fishery if left unchecked.

I'd prefer to get them on my fly rod and out of the river. They are used in liquid organic fertilizer for agriculture and fish meal for poultry and dairy cattle feed. Can't think of much else they are good for, all bones..........

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.