Fly Fishing Forum banner

"Fishing Aint So Bad"

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  John Desjardins 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Fred, I painted the bed room she wanted on Memorial Day weekend, hope she does not think of anything else with summer runs coming in soon. BTW, for a moment I thought that bubba angler was one of those Rouge drift rod guys throwing those 2 ounce sinkers to get into those springers out there. Some set up he had with that 200 lb test don't you think ? :devil: :chuckle:

We need some levity once in a while, it can't all be serious fly fishing discussions you know.

#4 ·
Well on the upppppper Rogue today I was, with a minor exception..

the only fly-guy. A couple of guide boats went by me (Dave Rogers the Manager of the "Outdoor Store" in Medford. His folks were the one's who were so kind as to open up at 7am when we had the Charity Clinic so the guys could get licenses, etc.

Did have quite a collection of folks watching the spey rods work; I could chuck it as far with a dry line and heavy tube as they could dump their 1-2 oz of lead .... read that the other side of the river. I'm just 'prettier.' :cool:

Ton of fish, with several caught while I was there. No joy for me until I moved down stream/across river. Hooked/landed one about 15-18# on the Sage 15' 9wt using a BIG tube fly and a 30' Type 4 head. Not pretty to cast but it gets the job done in the deeper pools.
fe

#7 ·
Hal, you would be in the same place I would be if I tried that. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The question is which one of us would get there fastest.

Isn't there some smallmouth fishing in the lake around Chicago. I remember thinking that there had be some interesting fishes hanging around the rip rap bordering the shoreline the last time I was in the windy city. Maybe that would hold you over until the summer runs come in.

#8 ·
John,

Lots of good smallmouth right on the lake front and all around the Lake Michigan shores where there is rock structure. Not good fly fishing opportunities though. But we have a several great small mouth rivers within one hour of chicago which have nice fly rod water. Between steelhead seasons I work on my golf game. Once you get steelhead in your blood, it is a sickness that is hard to purge yourself of. Right other hard core steelheaders like Juro, Fred, etc... They are called a cult game fish, and yes this is the only cult I am a member of for sure.

Hal

#9 ·
I understand Hal. Think of the expose a news show could do on the cult.

"On tonights show we look at the steelhead cult. You may not know their there but men are drawn to rivers to seek steelhead at all hours of the day in all possible weather conditions. What drives men to the waters. The subtle hold of a mythical creature that leads some to ritualistic trade in bits and pieces of animals, spending thousands of dollars to chase an elusive wild animal.... "

I guess I need to get out fishing as well. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.