Fly Fishing Forum banner

Trout Fly Swap flys are in the mail

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 · (Edited)
I just wanted to let everyone know that as of 4:45 today the flies are in the mail. I'm sorry for the delay in getting them back to everyone. I'll e-mail/pm everyone the location of the fly pics & posting instructions over the weekend.

#5 · (Edited)
Regarding tying directions

I noticed when I received mine, I hadn't provided tying instructions.

The fly name is 'Alexandra', taken from an old fly pattern book.

It's simplicity is obvious. Modern instructions allow us to use several variants to accomplish tying. Old instructions call for older materials like flat tinsel, which I think is too brittle.

Hook: Mustad Viking 6x Streamer - I forget ## - size 12 or your choice.
Thread: Danville Flat Wax Nylon
Tail: Duck, Goose, Turkey, what have you. You could probably sub in several Marabou barbs.
Body: Metallic Embroidery Floss.
Throat: Black Hackle Barbs
Wing: Peacock Herl

Instructions: Wind FWN front to back; apply head cement the length. Tie in several barbs of choice of red tail feather.

Using floss allows tie-in of one layer at bend above hookpoint, then winding forward. If you prefer to do the old way, tie FWN in behind eye, tie in floss, wind down to point slightly behind hookpoint, tie in tail; wind floss to tail, knot with FWN, return (reverse winding direction axially) to within 1/8-3/16" of eye.

To the point of winding: you may choose to flatten the floss for a thinner body. To flatten, take a length and actually spread twists at one end. Apply to top of hook with one or two holding windings - not gripping, just holding. Then, consolidate tag ends and floss body on the winding angle, bringing strands shoulder to shoulder; tighten windings, knot off. Wind FWN to 1/8-3/16" behind eye, secure and hang thread. Wind floss in direction, taking care to splay strands, flattening and tensioning as you wind. Fill body profile, tie in and cut off as noted near eye.

Build small FWN shoulder against floss; whip and cement to hold. Tie in throat.
Tie in your choice of number (several) strands Peacock Herl against shoulder, matching tail length or just beyond. Build small tapered head, whip and cement finish.

This is really a lot more words than the picture or the fly demand. I like it's all-purpose look.

#6 ·
Re: Regarding tying directions

DFix said:

Body: Metallic Embroidery Floss.
Dave, Shh your giving away craft store secrets.
:chuckle: Seriously though, its an interesting material that is available in several different colors. I've used the individual strands as ribs, and wound it into worm bodies.

To every one; I'm sorry I haven't gotten to e-mailing the directions for posting the pics. I'll try tonite after the kids are asleep.

#8 ·
Got back from my Exuma trip to find swap flies waiting. Hey DFix, I wondered who'd tied up that alexandra - I haven't seen one of those for many years. Used to be a favorite sea run brown pattern back in my old UK neck of the woods.

Are the pics posted somewhere - I thought I saw them but cant find the link now - maybve I imagined it:rolleyes:

#9 ·
I'm doing terrible on getting the instructions for posting recipes & pics out. The fly pictures are located on a server at my ISP. they are named after the person who sent them in e.g. Adrians-Invicta-web.jpg.

The pictures are sized so that they can be attached to a post using the attach file command(below the options)on the post message window. Paste the directory into the window and press the browse button. Select either "jpg" or "all" as the file type. Then select the file with your name.

When you post the message the picture will be included at the bottom of the message. It will not show up when you preview the message.

#10 ·
Actually, great job John! You made it easy to post recipes, and I got to take a peek at them already too :)

How to get them in the archive:

1) Save your picture from the list John provided to a local folder on your computer (right mouse button, save picture)

2) create a new post in the archive area and type in your recipe

3) using the "attach file" feature (down below where you typed the recipe) browse to where you put the image in step#1 and select the image

4) Click [Submit Reply]

#11 ·
Juro, John - phew!!

I really thought I was losing it - although this doesn't necessarilly mean I'm not of course!

I went back through the other thread and found the original pic link in John's status message.

I'll get the invicta archived tonight!

Great job John and a great swap!

#12 ·
Adrian, hope you liked the interpretation.

I like to go back through the old patterns and do some of them. It reminds me of the time I had functional eyes :eyecrazy: which didn't require the assistance of progressive eyeglasses and bench-mounted magnifiers :whoa:

I wanted to tie a Colonel Fuller; didn't have any Lady Amherst, and didn't want to form cheeks out of anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.