Fly Fishing Forum banner

Ooh that smell

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Chris 
#1 ·
Finally got the skunk off today. Squeezed in 1 1/2 hours on the Swift River (Western MA). Got a 13 ' and a 9 ' rainbow. Fish were rising sporadically. Takes were slow and delicate and I pulled the fly away from several fish. Hooked up when I let the fish set the hook. Fish were taking small dark flies (march browns?) and only succes I had was with an 18 or 20 adams. Fly fell apart after awile and they would not consider anything bigger - which is all I had in the box. Kind of ignored my dry fly box this winter - back to the bench! Not much fight - kind of lethargic - but a blast anyways! Anyone else having any spring luck?

#6 ·
Juro: Sure - I'd be glad to show you a few spots I know or share the information with you - but they are no great secret. A few more weeks of trout fishing and the streams will become fill-in between striper trips. Spent the last two years figuring out
Merrimac River mouth, Joppa, Plum Island, etc. This year I am going to try to figure out mouth of the Connecticut and even throw in some upper Connecticut River striper attempts this Spring.

#7 · (Edited)
That's a great report. I know the Swift can be tough if you don't use 6 to 7x tippetts and small flys... so.. you did well there. I used to fish right off route 9 bridge area with fish rising all around. Landed a nice 18 incher( that was in July.. easier than at this time of year) with the small compo you used several years ago.. light tippett and super small fly... They were rejecting everything else I gave them before I had figured it out.

#8 ·
John D: I have it that the Quabbin itself will open the 13th but the Y pool will not be open unless there is a change in thinking. Striblue: I have fished just upstream of the bridge many times and it can be quite agravating - but is also loaded with fish and quite a challange. Like you said, midges and small flies and long fine leaders. I actually fish that pool more than further upstream or the Y pool because I am usually on an extended "lunch break" or just happen to be passing over the bridge on the way from a site visit or meeting with a client and you can be in the water in a few minutes. From the bridge and upstream is closed now and apparently will remain so. Plenty of good fishing below the bridge, though. That is where I got the two trout yesterday. Not as tough as upstream of the bridge but still pretty picky.

#9 ·
I hit the upper reaches of the Swift, in Petersham, on Sunday the 14th. The water was really low and didn't get anything to come up to have a look at anything I cast. There was a decent hatch on the Millers in Erving but again nothing rising and didn't interest anything with nyphs either. Was a beautiful day to be out though and Ian and I enjoyed just hanging out and working on his casting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.