Fly Fishing Forum banner

Danielsson HD 9thirteen. How versatile???

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JR SPEY 
#1 ·
How versatile is this reel? I was looking very hard at purchasing an 11 fourteen as a reel to be used for a dream trip for sailfish and giant trevally but then I started considering the 9thirteen.
If it is truely a 9-13 reel then by changing spools and line wts you could use it for anything from redfish to false abacore, pemit, tarpon on up to the trevelly and sailfish. Would the 9thirteen be enough reel to use for tarpon, giant trevally and sialfish. Would you be able to put enough backing on the reel when using a 12 or 13wt line? If I could afford to I would buy both but buying one and changing spools and line wts. makes a lot more sense to me at this point.

#2 ·
IMHO if you load gelspun for backing you should be fine for those species. I put Spey lines on that reel and they are much much more spool-hogging than a 13wt line. Definitely the tarpon, permit and albies. Once you get into bluewater it's not the manageable sails you need to worry about it's the surprise marlin :)

#3 ·
The surprise marlin and the good sized tuna (35lb.+.) With 50lb GSP you should be able to handle almost anything. For extended belly speylines in the heavier line weights, the 11-14 is definitely preferable, but the 9-13 handles everything else, as does the LW 8-12 which has the identical capacity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.