Fly Fishing Forum banner

epoxy

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
Hi
If you like working with epoxy,here is an interesting fly to tie!!!

But it does require that you have a drying motor, and they say, it does catch fish.

See less See more
#2 ·
Joe,
Super translucent...really nice. Would be great for anchovies and silversides (with silver tubing on the bottom and a darker one on top).
Nick

#3 ·
regarding epoxy: if five-minute epoxy is used for any body/head styling, it is not completely waterproof, meaning it will not withstand total immersion for extended periods of time. Furthermore, five minute epoxy compounds discolor (yellow) after a season or so. In order to waterproof, one should coat five minute epoxy, after it is dry and cured, with either thirty minute or more extended time (90 min.) material; this info does not take into account rod finishes, head cements, etc.

(guess I better do something more interesting than read - Nick's ahead of me in posts :eek: )

#4 ·
epoxy fly

Nick said:
Joe,
Super translucent...really nice. Would be great for anchovies and silversides (with silver tubing on the bottom and a darker one on top).
Nick
Nick
The only way to have two differant colors is to tie using silver tubing, on the top and bottom, then with a color marker paint the upper part whatever color comes to mine, Idon't know how else you could accomplish what you suggested.
I tied what you see in the picture with the gold tubing, I didn't have any silver tubing, so I used what I had just to have fun.
What do you think about my use of a color marker.
Joe :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#5 ·
Joe,
That's kinda what I was thinking. Silver tubing with the top half markered dark blue or olive. Could be killer!

<----They keep growing! :D

#6 ·
DFix said:
regarding epoxy: if five-minute epoxy is used for any body/head styling, it is not completely waterproof, meaning it will not withstand total immersion for extended periods of time. Furthermore, five minute epoxy compounds discolor (yellow) after a season or so. In order to waterproof, one should coat five minute epoxy, after it is dry and cured, with either thirty minute or more extended time (90 min.) material; this info does not take into account rod finishes, head cements, etc.

(guess I better do something more interesting than read - Nick's ahead of me in posts :eek: )
DFix
I agree with you on the discoloration of the 5 minuet epoxy after a time, but what I do when I use 5 minuet epoxy is to coat the 5 minuet stuff with Sally Hansen, Hard as Nails, but I'm not sure if this will prevent discoloration from personal experience, but I was told that it would.
The other longer cure epoxy will not discolor after a time, but I don't know anyting about it being water proof or not.
Interesting subject, would like more comments.
Joe.

#7 ·
epoxy fly

Nick said:
Joe,
That's kinda what I was thinking. Silver tubing with the top half markered dark blue or olive. Could be killer!

Nick
Must go to my material supplier soon, and get some silver tubing and give it a shot.
When I do, I will tie one, and use two differant colors, I like your idea, I believe thats what this forum is for, the exchange of ideas.
It would be almost inmpossible to use anything but 5 minuet epoxy to work on this fly,
Joe

<----They keep growing! :D
:tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk: :razz:

#8 ·
Interesting fly Joe. Keep 'em coming!

If you want to use something other than 5 min epoxy, couldn't you just let it set a little before you build up the body? Or would that not work for some reason? Just a thought.

I can't stand the smell of the 5 min stuff. I use the Devcon 2 ton because it has virtually no odor. I usually need the extra working time anyway:hehe: I've never tried to fill in a large space like that though.

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.