Fly Fishing Forum banner

What fishing trips are you planning this year?

6K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  Rippin_Lips 
#1 · (Edited)
What fishing trips are you planning next year?

So what significant trips are you planning next year? I've got two lined up already.

1. Grand Lake Stream, Maine May 31-June 3 - It's going to be me and two buddies that went two years ago, plus my father in law will be going for the first time. I can't wait, last time up there I got my first landlocked salmon (~19") and 3 river smallmouth in the 4 lb range on a 4 wt with 7X tippet. :whoa:
I also landed an 18"+ chub that I thought was a brown when I spotted it due to the size. By far the largest I've ever gotten.

2. Housatonic River, CT October - After an awesome 2 day trip this past Oct where I landed my personal best trout (~21-22" brown), I've decided to make it an annual solo fall pilgrimage. I'll just sleep in the back of my car in a sleeping bag and fish for two entire days by myself. It really rested up my overworked brain cells and I caught a bunch of nice fish!

So what's on your calendars?

#3 ·
I have nothing set in stone yet, but I will most likely do the following:

1. Pike trip in early spring to Lake Ontario
2. Cape in June with my dad (60th birthday present)

Those are the only trips that have taken shape so far. We need to remain flexible for an impending trip to China, so anything else will be opportunistic grabs at available times and dates to squeeze what fishing I can into the schedule.

#4 ·
Planned Trips

1. Miramichi - July 8 through 14 with my two sons (I hope) and friends. This is for sure.

2. Miramichi - Last weekend in September or first weekend in October with friend. This is for sure.

3. Muskegon River in MI - sometime between mow and May 10th. This depends on how my schedule meshes with my MI friend's schedule.

Maybe a couple of days on the Matapedia during first week of July -- a BIG maybe.

Another big maybe is the Catt in New York on the way to or back from the Miramichi in October.

#5 ·
Planned trips:

1. Sanibel at the end of April. From recent reports, I don't expect the fishing to be very good, but, we'll share a cabin with friends and have a good time nevertheless.

2. Kodiak in late September. The way the fishing on the Island has been going downhill, this may be my last trip up there. I love the Island, though, and really look forward to returning, fish or not.

3. Pick-up trips on the Alsea/Siletz for steelhead, starting next week.

4. Trout and Steelhead on the Deschutes.

5. Quarter-pounders on the Rogue in late October (I hope).

Cheers,

Eric

#6 ·
Cruise the end of January. I'll pack an 8 wgt just in case Basser and I can loose the missisus. The places we stop sound like early morning's, earlier than we would get into port, provide the best shot so I don't expect much. And the bow of those boats sit kinda high for flyrodding.

I'm thinking about Acklins but I'm not sure how that will shake out yet.

Cape in June with my dad (60th birthday present)
Mark, funny how fishing is an ageless pursuit. I think of you as a contemporary yet my agedometer turns the big 60 just a month later than your dad.

#9 ·
until my green card comes through i can't leave the country, so :

1. Housatonic Meadows, CT - for a weekend camping trip in late spring. Scott - you need to invest in a TruckTent :biggrin:

2. The Swift, up at belchertown MA - a couple of weekdays in early summer to find out what all the fuss is about.

3. Yellowstone park WYM - hiring an RV for 10 days in late June/early july to see the park and fish the yellowstone, madison, firehole rivers and slough creek.

4. a long weekend camping on the Cape in September. probably near brewster.

now if i can get away with all that ( i have stage 1 approval from the good lady), I will be a happy man indeed.

Mark.

#11 ·
Guernseybass said:
until my green card comes through i can't leave the country, so :

1. Housatonic Meadows, CT - for a weekend camping trip in late spring. Scott - you need to invest in a TruckTent :biggrin:

Mark, while that looks cool, I enjoy the simplicity of just bringing a sleeping bag and a pillow and curling up in the back of my Xterra for the night. When it's time to go fishing in the morning all I have to do is throw my fishing gear back on and I don't have to worry about packing up camp. Of course there's also the fact that I don't have a bed on my truck so that tent contraption wouldn't really work... ;)

#13 ·
Tropics
- Acklins
- possibly a Puerto Rico tarpon "fling" weekend at any given moment

Steelhead
- Washington State spring steelhead

Stripers
- Cape on weekends throughout the season

Atlantics
- Gaspe' Quebec

Fall steelhead
- Oregon and Washington's famed rivers

Other possibilities
- Rooster clave?
- Florida Keys long weekend?
- Skeena year?

#14 ·
Maybe we will run into some of you this year in strange but beautiful places to fish. We have a light fishing schedule until end of June but should get a few days in on Cape.

Then in July we will fish our way up to the Queen Charlotte Islands through the inside passage of BC.

In August, Salmon on the outside of Vancouver Island, Sea Runs and bottom fish.

September, will bring tuna off the west Coast about 200 mile off shore to San Francisco.

October, Stripers again but this time in the bay area.

Mexico for November, Sea of Cortez will be fished hard but will move to a little warmer water as the Sea of Cortez is not very warm that time of year. Centeral and South Mexico will complete the month and better chances for Roosters.

December and January will be interesting fishing the west coast of Guatemala, El Salvador and into Nicaragua. Really looking forward to both inshore and outside fishing in this strange part of the world.

February, it will be Costa Rica but I'll surf more than fish as by then my right arm will be sore.

Most of March it will be Bluewater for the first 26 days or so, plenty of Mahi, Tuna and maybe a Marlin or two. Hope to get some reef fishing in at end of month in the Marquesas for big Trevally but if not April will do.

May, if all goes well the isolated atolls of the Tuamotu's chain where Bone fish are in great numbers and rarely fished. All fifty atolls or so have flats for miles and miles.

In June I might fish some secret Mangrove places I remember on the back side of Tahitti I fished some 30 years ago.

July the Northern Cooks look very promising for Bones and Trevally on outside reefs.

August and September will see what is up with both Samoas, Tonga and Fiji. I guess fly fishing is good but so is surfing and cold mixed drinks.

My fishing will end for the year 2007 in New Zeland and will be looking to fish fresh water for trout again. It will be a much needed change from the constant sun glare of Bluewater, outside reefs and Bone Fish Flats.

If you had the will to read through this list of boring places to fish you did well I'm already tired and I have not cast a fly yet. If any of you have fished any of these destinations let me know It would be great to gather a little insider info.

Happy New Year

OC

#16 ·
Fred, You are always welcome to come join us anywhere we travel. I think Hannah has enough head room for you. I just realized I put a little more than 2007 in post. I get so damn excited and we consider everything from start of trip all the way to NZ one major section of the journey so hell it will be November 2008 when we get to NZ.
I'm going to work something out with Juro later in Spring where I can just send him a CD or an e-mail with up dates and some pics and a story or two. Flytalk will be our only public reporting as I have known everyone here for so long, not crazy about all the folks with websites that are sailing around the world. Sailing, surfing and flyfishing around the world is just not a rare thing anymore it is just a big deal for the family, a bit of a personal challenge. Time to get skinny and healthy again like in the old days.:smokin:

#17 ·
Jez...Is October Caddis, aka Warren Buffet? I do a fair amount of island-hopping, but I'm drooling over the venues you have planned.

Have you thought about the fishery in northern Australia, specifically the Gulf of Carptentaria? I was there in April and believe it is one of the best in the world for longtails and spaniards.

Good on you!

#18 ·
FredA said:
So Steve, we should expect periodic reports to be filed?

I guess I'll need to finagle a need to check on my NZ project in about a year.

Fred you need to be here now!
I have been learning fly fishing and been out only 4 times now but every morning and afternoon they are rising by the hundreds in my neck of the woods. Sure makes the heart flutter. I haven't picked up my spinner since I was introduced to fly fishing and lovin every minute of it!
I lucked up and got my first one on a fly this evening, too bad it got dark for my enthusiam waned. LOL

#19 ·
Jim,
No Warren Buffet here, been wanting to do this from the time I was 6 years old. Guess I have saved my pennies for a long time now. Austrailia is a long time away so have not done any plans for the second section of the trip. But we will be going through the Torres straits and hope to spend some time in Darwin before moving on. Austrailia has become so hard for people sailing to enter the country now that I wonder if it is even worth it. The hoops one must jump through make it not a fun place to visit.
I know fishing is great up in N. Austrailia from what I hear so I will be looking into it eventually. Thanks for the tips.

Crystal NZ,
What part on NZ you from? I spent 6 months fishing there way back in 1972. Wish you could have seen how good it was way back then I don't remember ever getting a trout under 3 pounds. And the Sea Run Browns on the NW coast of the South island at every river mouth were scary, BIG is all I can say.

#20 ·
Jim,
No Warren Buffet here, been wanting to do this from the time I was 6 years old. Guess I have saved my pennies for a long time now. Austrailia is a long time away so have not done any plans for the second section of the trip. But we will be going through the Torres straits and hope to spend some time in Darwin before moving on. Austrailia has become so hard for people sailing to enter the country now that I wonder if it is even worth it. The hoops one must jump through make it not a fun place to visit.
I know fishing is great up in N. Austrailia from what I hear so I will be looking into it eventually. Thanks for the tips.

Crystal NZ,
What part on NZ you from? I spent 6 months fishing there way back in 1972. Wish you could have seen how good it was way back then I don't remember ever getting a trout under 3 pounds. And the Sea Run Browns on the NW coast of the South island at every river mouth were scary, BIG is all I can say.

#21 ·
Only thing definitely booked so far is first week of February on Andros.
I wanted to go to Alphonse Island in the Seychelles for the last opportunity before it closes but the tides are bad for most of the available slots (crucial at that location).
I will probably visit Los Roques and Cuba again before the summer.
In June I am planning to visit Cape Cod,
July will probably see me in Norway and August in Iceland or vice versa.
In September I will try and fish either Gaspé or the Miramichi.
After that I am not sure but probably another trip to Los Roques and/ or Cuba.

Pete

#22 ·
Pete,

Why is Alponse closing? Is that whole part of the world being taken away from us or what!

The British have destroyed the Chagos Archipelagos along with the help of the CIA and made it all most impossible to go there. As of two days ago to get your vessel into Chagos requires a $500 pass payed in advance. Also a charge per person that is very high. I'm a strong believer in laws to protect the enviroment and the native people but this is going too far. Besides the Brits had the gall to kick the native peoples of the Islands out long ago thru trickery and won't let them back.

#23 ·
Hi October Caddis
The closure of Alphonse Island is because the Island Development company (Owners) have sold it to another organisation who intend to convert it into a super duper luxury resort. It will apparently reopen in 2008. There are talks about builing a fishing lodge on St. Francois at some time in the future.

In the long term it probably means that one of the most expensive locations will become even more expensive.

Pete

#24 ·
October Caddis said:
Pete,

Why is Alponse closing? Is that whole part of the world being taken away from us or what!

The British have destroyed the Chagos Archipelagos along with the help of the CIA and made it all most impossible to go there. As of two days ago to get your vessel into Chagos requires a $500 pass payed in advance. Also a charge per person that is very high. I'm a strong believer in laws to protect the enviroment and the native people but this is going too far. Besides the Brits had the gall to kick the native peoples of the Islands out long ago thru trickery and won't let them back.
a Point of Order here :

actually, the UK Govt (through the High Court) ruled last May that islanders could return to any island in the archipelago, with the exception of Diego Garcia which is a US Military airbase on UK soil and leased to the United States until 2016.

The establishment of the airbase and the relocation of islanders was at specific the request of the US Government as they needed an indian Ocean base to monitor the Soviet Union in the Cold War.

So although we Brits may have acted appallingly since 1965, once again it was at the behest of our bigger brother :tsk_tsk:

#25 ·
Guernseybass,

When our our brothers across the lake get it and not listen to us over here?

You got to stop letting us kick you around. I hope the locals find away to make a life back in thier homeland they sounded like truely wonderful people. Spy Island (AKA diego Garcia) is a just a place for us to make sure we keep control over a region of the world that don't want us there.

#26 ·
October Caddis said:
Jim,

Crystal NZ,
I am located in Central Hawkes Bay region, East Coast North Island. D.O.C. has done a great job stocking the lakes and streams in this region and it is paying off with rainbows and brownies over 8 lbs in deep pool under the rapids.

We are going through somewhat of a dry spell at the moment so streams are low and clear as glass. We go out most every afternoon now that the mayfly hatch is on. 7pm they start to rise feeding, then with in the next hour to dark they are splashing loudly.

We have been going to the Wiapawa and Tuki Tuke river mostly (only 5minutes from our house)for everytime we go we see absolutely hundreds ranging in the 1-3 lb size.

In the Tuki it is so overstocked since catch and release is the norm, there aren't many people that are taking any out for eating.

Catch and release also has got them wary of humans so fishing is done by stalking for the big ones, which lie at the base of rapids and flustrating to see them and they won't bite anything presented to them. I call these educated fish LOL

When over this way give me a holler and my husband and myself will show you some good fishing just for fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.