Fly Fishing Forum banner

Skykomish Dark

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
Stuck inside with the flu on a dreary afternoon.

Enjoy...

Hook: Alec Jackson Spey 3/0
Thread: Uni 8/0, white
Rib: oval silver tinsel, medium
Counter: oval silver tinsel, fine
Body: rear 1/3, orange floss; front 2/3 red wool
Hackle: yellow coque, one side stripped
Collar: golden pheasant breast
Wing: Bronxe Mallard
Head: White

Stu

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Digital photos

PMFlyfisher,

Thanks for the kind words.

As far as digital photos go, here's what works for me. First off. capture your photos in the highest resolution your camera allows. preferably in an uncompressed format. My camera, a Nikon 995, allows me to capture in uncompressed TIFF. Note, however, that these photos uses lots of storage: a bit over 8MB in my case.

Second, use a good photo editing program. Adobe Photoshop Elements is very powereful -- almost as powerful as full-featured Photoshop -- and costs just under $100. Edit your photos in uncompressed form. Only convert to your final form (JPG, GIF,...) when you are done editing, as each time you save in a compressed format you lose some fidelity.

Third, take several photos! This was the best of 5 I shot of this fly.

Fourth, good lighting and a clear, uncluttered background. This photo was lit with a dual-tube, 15 watt fluorsecent light. The background is light blue artist's board. Most digital cameras have a white light adjustment mode to compensate for fluorescent, incandescent, flash, or daylight. Use it.

Photoshop Elements 2.0 has a bunch of auto-correction modes. I used these to sharpen focus, adjust color and contrast. Finally I adjusted the resolution and size (this one is 2x3, 72DPI to get under the maximum size for posting). Most monitors display 133 lines per inch; if you'r epublishing to the web, finer resolutions than that will not help.

Hope this helps.

Stu

#4 ·
STU Good subject for a Round Table

I know it took me a lot of tries to get the pictures to look right.
I still struggle with the getting it right.
Still see everything in black and white.
This would be great subject for round table.
What does everyone else think?????????????????????????????:rolleyes:

Speybum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.