Fly Fishing Forum banner

skunk skins

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  nevada caster 
#1 ·
I just came across a guy that had some Skunk Skins . To me it looks like the next thing to Polar Bear ?My question is , Has anybody tied with it , How durable is it ? Thank's Fish-head

#3 ·
Almost bought some skunk skins out in South Dakota this summer at the fur and antler store, but just couldn't figure out how to get them in the trail blazer with my two teenage sons, drive a 1,000+ miles back with them to chicago, and then explain to my wife when she eventually would find out from my two sons who already were watching what I bought in that shop.

They did look good though and maybe are the substitute for polar bear..

Let us know how it works out from all sensory aspects if you know what I mean. :hehe:

Used to trap skunks when a kid back east. They can be nasty critters and smelly to say the least.

#4 ·
Skunks with skunks

I have had some good luck with skunk hair.
Good sub. for Black Bear.
Are they winter or Summer hides.
I pefer summer hair like bear it is long and more soft.
It is good for weaving hackles and very good for collers.

Will take bleach start with .05% by voulume.
If you are not familure with the term any Hair dresser can help you.
May take seveal beachings to get the shade you want.
Hope this helps
Speybum:)

#6 ·
I guess I should have taken the risk and tried to get one from SD to Chicago not informing the boys and wife. Oh well I have their web site and can do a mail order this winter .:D

They had some other neat skins I can not get here, like coyote, possums, etc... Gonna check it out again.

#10 ·
skunk were the least of my problems

pmflyfisher,
My wife would say that dying a skunk skin would be the least of her worries.
Getting the dubbing out of her food processor or storing the boxes of fur and feathers.
Tracking the fluff off of marabou through out the house.
Having frozen moose hides in the freeze (every knows that fresh hair spins better than tanned.)
Yes if you tye flies and you keep a wife she is a saint.
Have had mine for 35 years and she lets me do anything she want.
And that is the truth.
:rolleyes:

#11 ·
Yeah that darn marabou fluff, I never seem to pick all of it up either. :D

She really gets mad if she finds a hook in the rug though. The only one that has impaled them self to date though is I. :(

I now make sure I vacuum after every fly tying exercise to make sure there are no hooks in the rug and the excess material is cleaned up off the floor.

Been married 25 years and been fly tying for 23 years of those. I am just glad she has her ceramic crafts which also make somewhat of a mess and take up space.

#13 ·
WINTER VS SUMMER

FISH-HEAD,
The main difference between winter and summer is the summer hide will have sparcer hair, It will be longer and in some cases even finer.
There will less under fur (winter hides have much under fluff)
The pelt it self will feel lite.
The hair on some hides will be light in color with sun faded spots and bare areas.
Looking at the under side or tanned side many times you will see new hair of what seems to little stubes .
Better yet just ask.
Speybum
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.