Fly Fishing Forum banner

Abel fly tying vise

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Broadbill 
#1 ·
What is the conventional wisdom/prevailing opinion concerning the Abel vise?

See less See more
#3 ·
Well.......not if you buy it on an auction site that doesn't get all that much traffic..........sometimes a person could get one on the cheap.........say, less than a new Barracuda Jr. or around $100 less than a Renzetti Presentation.......

~Mark

#5 ·
I have one and it is very nice. Steve Able told me that the next batch of jaws will have the gross tension screw on the other side so as to make tying midges a little easier.
Sure Abel stuff is expensive, but that's what it costs. Good enough is cheap but the best never is.

#6 ·
Well, the vise showed up and I decided to put it on Ebay. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful piece of equipment. I got a twinge of practicality and decided to see if I could turn a profit.

It is currently at $305.

If it goes high enough I will use the proceeds to buy a more economical vise for myself.

Maybe I'll bring it along to the casting clave?

You can see the auction HERE.

~Mark

#10 ·
Like a fly rod, maybe you should tie befor you buy.
A Baracuda isn't much less than the Abel you sold.
I think the best for less is the Regal rotary.
When you go to the shows, the most common vices used by the presentation tiers are Renzetti, Regal, and Dyna King(in that order?). I would look at those three.
For real short bucks, people seem to like the Dan Vice.

#16 ·
As a Regal owner, I recommend the Renzetti--the new Saltwater Traveler with the cam locks. Retails for about half your Abel proceeds. Leaves you two Benjamins for dinner with someone special. . . since we know you won't just burn it up on tackle. ;)

The Regal doesn't rotate the way the Renzetti does. A tryout on Bob Pink's Renzetti at the Marlboro show made a believer out of me. Palmering hackle for an Abrames-style eel punt or laying on the cushion on a flatwing is a snap with the Traveler. The usual disclaimers about varying mileage and MHO here.
Broadbill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.