Fly Fishing Forum banner

Clarification of All the Recent Activity

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TinMan 
#1 ·
Terry makes a good point. It must be hard to pull all the recent activity into context. Here is an explanation, please ask questions at will:

FIRST AND FOREMOST - there will be NO PROFIT TAKING from any of these fund activities in 2001.

The objective of the recent fund raising work is to use the least active season to set ourselves up through 2001. Once the action gets hot again in the spring (discounting Aussies and Kiwi's who are entering into the peak season now) we all have a hard time focusing on taking care of business - and I am the worst of the bunch!

Why do we need funds?

We need to cover hosting costs which will be around $720 this year, or $60/month. This does not include anything more than the ISP upgrade I will need in 2001 - like software, related costs like the scanners, mpeg converters, and other stuff I invested into last year.

I also feel we should provide fly lines of choice to all who contribute the "article of the month" in 2001. This is less than the hosting costs, but if we honor one article a month it will be $600 / year.

Then there are the raffle items - top of the line rods and reels, etc. Whatever's left over from the initial round will be used to fund chances for people to get something they normally wouldn't afford, or even if they could it is something they got by contributing to the cause. We'll make it something you can only get from the FORUM, for instance.

Lastly there is carry-over for 2002. The results of the final raffles will be put into escrow for 2002, and each year we should build the pot until the raffle is for a week in Belize with your wife, all expenses paid. We gotta start somewhere!

Why carry-over to 2002?

Because I DO NOT want to put everyone through this in November of 2001 to get set for 2002! We should have enough in the organization's account to avoid winter fund-raising activities. Otherwise we'll have to do it again! Not everyone thinks it's a bad thing to raise funds in winter, but building a rollover base is good business.

Then there's the mission of the site....

We are founded on regional intensity complemented by global connectivity. The priority for each should be 50/50. We will DEFINITELY pay attention to being the kind of awesome regional club that we were in 2000 - but we must network to become an alliance of regionally intense clubs spanning the breadth of the internet.

Sure each season is measured in visits to home waters - but our lives are measured by the breadth of the waters we get to sample. We should be parochial yes - but equally global.

When I was young my parents travelled all over the world (dad was a University professor and cancer researcher). As a result no matter where I stood I could feel the circumference of the Earth in the shadows of my shoes. Although I celebrate the span of my eyesight, I always feel the undercurrents of a Patagonian stream in Luis' images; the push of a glacial river on a steelhead journey, or the lazy waves of the Florida Keys lapping the mangrove roots.

I am not driven to put this kind of time and energy into a regional-only site - but what I envision is more than worth a lifetime's effort.

I hope you are all with me!

(more later)

See less See more
#2 ·
Juro: Thanks for the clarifications.

Juro said:<b>"We are founded on regional intensity complemented by global connectivity.</b>"

Translation: A local New England board is cool and we benefit form it the most, but; being connected to the rest of the FF world would be in our interest too some how.

I guess we need to understand why you want to take the board there. I'm sure some would be happy to just keep it simple and not rock the boat, others maybe want contacts all over.
A little more clarification here would help.

Terry

#3 ·
Terry -

I appreciate your translation!

<font size="1">Terry said:

Translation: A local New England board is cool and we benefit form it the most, but; being connected to the rest of the FF world would be in our interest too some how. </font><!--1-->

Meaning no disrespect, your perspective is locally focused. I agree that people from the northeast will benefit from a New England <b>board</b> the most. The striper board demonstrates that - not to mention the intense times we enjoy on the water in this region. Yet there are at least two more of those boards to choose from in the area - although neither are really flyfishing boards they more than fill the bill.

Please tell me if you disagree but in the discussion of "deep vs. wide" I don't think "deep" is worth doing without going "wide" (eg. regionally-deep and world-wide). I also feel that locally deep sites are kinda missing the magic of the web, and in my mind that's half the mission of this venture. You'll be glad to know - the other half is alive and well here in the northeast. What we have here is hard to find no matter where you go... but should it be?

I believe the magic of the forum can bring intensity to any region of the country, the world - someday. Sure it will take time but it's worth it.

I need to point out that this site is soon evolving into something that does not have the deep and wide dilemma of which we speak.

You'll see what I mean as we roll out some of the new site architecture. You'll have a kick-as$ New England site. You will also have the best network of fly-fishing friends in their own kick-as$ communities - I am equally dedicated to this. The new architecture supports this as well.

To me, one is not whole without the other.

But I really appreciate your passion for all this. It won't be easy for other regions to keep up with with the Yankee spirit!

#4 ·
I agree with Juro, I think it is in all our best interests to attract as many fishermen from as wide an area as possible to this site. I personally benifited from the diversity we already have on this site this fall when Nate provided me with some excellent information for a trip down to Cape Lookout. I'm currently gearing up for a trip to Costa Rica and I wish i had a contact with as much local knowledge as Nate had about NC.

Ideally this could be a place you could come to find someone to fish your home waters with over the weekend or someone who could give you the inside line or maybe even show you around at some exotic fishing locale.

Matt

#6 ·
One benifit of a wide reaching forum is the ability it gives us to address fish problems that might otherwise not get the attention they deserve. A good exaple of this took place up in Maine a couple years back. There was a problem with water flows in a somewhat unkown river that was causing Salmon Reds to go dry. We posted the story on several different forums along with the Governors e mail and the DIFW directors e mail. The response was incredible it was like a cyber pitch fork march on the statehouse. They were getting letters from folks all the way from California and Washington State about a river that they hardly knew existed. Later the director of DIFW phoned my brother to call the dogs off and asked him what he wanted to do with the river. Thanks to forums like these the river won't run dry again. We shouldn't under estimate the power of world wide connections.

#7 ·
Tim -

That was such an inspiring anecdote... up until this point I had been saying it's good for "us", but your point is well taken - it's very good for our our causes. In fact history demonstrates that collaboration for a cause pulls people together very effectively, and we know the web is a good media to shrink the world into something more manageable to work with.

Great point!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.