Ridiculous Clave... cont'd

7K views 63 replies 10 participants last post by  bonefishmon 
#1 ·
What:
rIdIcUlOuS clave - DIY primarily, low budget bonefish trip

Why:
Need we ask?

Where:
Bahamas archipelago - Acklins, Eleuthera, Grand Bahamas, Abaco, or other DIY destination with lots of bones and flats measured in hundreds of square miles

When:
March or April (tbd)

Who:

1) FredA.
2) n1gdo
3) Dave17
4) Bonefishmon
5) Jim Simms
6) grizz0707
7) Wrke
8) with_wrke
9) Juro

*** group limit reached ***

How:
Converge on an island, share a car / lodging / fly tying table / stories / stogies / kaliks and walk, stalk, rock the flats!

See less See more
#2 ·
Bingo!!!

Acklins is in the running...

http://www.vrbo.com/49576
http://www.crookedisland.biz/

Advantages:

1,000 sq miles of bonefish flats
accessible crazy fishing
DIY fantasy
cheap lodging options
car rental available
two islands separated by $4 ferry

Disadvantages:

very remote
lose a day in Nassau - we could do a warm-up on the south side of N.P. though
cost $300 over Eleuthera due to flights from Nassau verses Ft.Lauderdale
few amenities

Neutral:

zero couples clave scouting possibilities but thats ok too

Acklins should be considered among the choices, representing the exploratory option with highest potential for ridiculous fishing at the price of amenities.

#3 ·
More on Acklins / Crooked Island...

Research reveals that there are more than two lodging options per mile on these islands, which are separated by a small cut with a $4 ferry to cross them. These hotels range from affordable and humble establishments to posh angler's accomodations on the international destinations lists. Clearly the reason is some of the best bonefishing on earth, DIY too.

Stretched out, these islands together are only about 15 miles long and not even a mile across in many places. A rental car could scour the island's shoreline in a day.

We could fly into Acklins and out on Crooked, vice-versa, or round trip to the same airstrip and it's $105 each way no matter what the combination - $210 r/t from Nassau. The problem is we have to get to Nassau, can't fly direct from Ft.Lauderdale like we could to Eleuthera, etc. This difference represents a $300 difference in the flight costs overall as opposed to Eleuthera.

Lodging options on Crooked Island include a place on Landrail Pt that wants $80 / night for three bedrooms, $20 each sleeping four per unit, BUT the meals plan is $55 per day per person (optional). Still $75 per day for meals the owners boast about is pretty good, and they pack lunches to go.

If you poke around a bit I think you'll get the same excitement about Acklins / Crooked Island that I have. Take a look and let me know.

** - this is not to say Berry, Eleuthera, and others are out, just adding another viable option before we make up our minds over the next week or two.

Detailed Itinerary will follow, once I hear back from inquiries I have made to businesses on both islands.

#4 ·
I have always wanted to explore the Acklins area.

My thinking is how many times would we ever get the chance to see an
area like this at a price we can afford.

We could always do Eleuthera easily.

If we were voting I would go for the Acklins trip.

Thanks to everyone for all their great information.

frank in Winthrop, MA

#7 ·
Luv2flyfish said:
Lets see what it works out to (money wise) per person for the week.
Roughly about $700-800 without the flight to Nassau, details will be posted shortly. Waiting for replies from folks in Acklins and Crooked Island.

#11 ·
All 3 sound good to me. The 2 with less pressure sound the best.

I just need dates to plan on - I have a whole lot of traveling, moving, and switching of jobs happening during the time of this adventure. Most of that stuff is getting planned and finalized now. I may potentially run into snags (depending on what uncle sammy whats to do). I might be unemployed and on 40 days of vacation by early march, or unemployed and on 40 days of vacation by mid-april. (those 40 days of vacation do not count in the 10 days vacation I am taking for this bonefishin trip). Too bad those 50 days of vacation dont coincide with the Fall and British Columbia and Steelhead......

#12 ·
Acklins: My estimates are right around $700ea not including round trip to Nassau or guides. But this is the great hinterlands of DIY in our lifetime and who knows how long, w/ 1000 sq miles of flats on a mostly deserted 14 mile long island if we stay in the newly built hotel I contacted. For me the Nassau flight is $500 but I might beg for freq. flyer miles from family so I can make this trip fit my budget.

We could knock this down $300 easy on Eleuthera due to flights from Ft.Lauderdale instead of Nassau, which for me are under $200 and there is no night layover for this island. This would easily fit my budget.

I will put these two package costs together based on quotes within the next few days. If anyone else is doing leg work chime in and we'll wait for all the numbers to come in before deciding.

#13 ·
Berry Island

I found a RT charter to Governors Harbor from Ft. Lauderdale for about $1900 divided by whichever number of passengers it takes along. Plane will hold eight comfortably. There is a $12 departure tax plus landing and takeoff fees.
My contact will attempt to arrange some other group to come back on the return flight or come out with them for our return flight which will reduce the cost even more. Housing is being looked into and I'm told this spot is DIY friendly and she books these trips on a DIY basis quite often. She didn't even know it was a problem elsewhere! At this point housing is looking like around $70 per night for a party of eight, on the beach, in a villa. We can rent boats or a Jeep Cherokee. All total about $1200 per person for eight + food and drink. I really like the Acklins as a destination but it may be tough on some of the other wallets. Only one problem with the Berry's = cold fronts.

Phil

#14 ·
Acklins Diet

Here are the details for Acklins / Crooked Island

I've negotiated a weekly rental at Casuarina Pines, Crooked Island of $600 per week for cottages with two double beds each.

http://www.crookedisland.biz/pagrpv.html

Hylena will arrange rental cars for $60 per day, possible week discount. This should mean $15 per day each up to four; two cars if 8 people, etc.

Therefore:

Not counting the flight to/from Nassau

Nassau to Crooked Island $135
First night lodging in Nassau $50ea
Lodging for week $300ea without cots
Rental car for week $105
Food $100ea (600-800 shared for week)
Bonefishing till we drop... priceless
Return to Nassau $135

$800-ish not including the flight to/from Nassau. Not as budget-wise as Eleuthera but notbably less than Berry Is. quote.

Extras:
  • Fishing with guides at one of the lodges (Greys Point, Acklins Lodge, etc.)
  • License for taking of lobster (they are 100ft away from the door) $20

Each cottage sleeps two adults, plenty of room to add a third but at these rates why bother.

I will draft up a plan for Acklins vs. Crooked but keep in mind there is a $4 ferry to get from one to the other and the total length of both islands combined is about 15 miles.

It might be fun to split the week between Crooked and Acklins keeping the cost about at this level. I suspect the $4 ferry would not get the car across the channel so we might as well consider it.

However, these two provide 1000 square miles of largely unfished flats, perhaps the most ridiculously untapped bonefish mecca on earth.

#16 ·
Bill -

Good to hear from you!

The more the merrier as far as I am concerned especially if we go to Acklins / Crooked Island. The weekly food budget will go to $1000, but no change per person. I think we must sign a pact to bring lobsters home each day :cool:

However, 10 is probably the limit so if you are truly interested we will set the initial group at the current headcount.

Who will be coming with you?

#17 ·
Back to Eleuthera...

Bonefishmon -

Thanks for the sleuthwork again!

Eleuthera:

Flights
There are lots of flights from FLL to Eleuthera including big names like Continental for about $300, where Bahamasair wants $150 one-way. The charter would be a blast and is a good price but there are big restrictions on baggage weight we need to consider. I am not sure we gain much via charter in this case since we can get to FLL and hop to Eleuthera same day without a charter. As I've often mentioned before unlike Berry or Acklins there is no need to go to Nassau when going to Eleuthera, and the fare to FLL is dirt cheap knocking the cost down to about $800-900 for the week as I saw it all-inclusive.

Furthermore, the flights run every day so we can chop it to a 5 day 4 night affair cutting lodging, food and car costs and getting it done for about $750 total before personal extras like guides and tequila.

Eleuthera is just fine by me costwise, and sounds like a no-brainer for the couples clave however I will s-t-r-e-t-c-h for Acklins because of it's pure insanity. The overwhelming percentage of bones in Acklins will have never seen an angler, let alone a fly.

Lodging
I am sure you found a great spot but we should be able to get quite a lot less IMHO. For instance, this beautiful cottage in Gov Hbr would cost a party of 8 less than $30 per day:

http://www.duckinncottages.com/Floras.asp

Many others were listed. One of the reasons I am high on Eleuthera is the abundance of lodging options at great prices for groups. It's ridiculous! ;)

If possible could you put a three level summary together? Budget, middle and best affordable?

bonefishmon said:
I found a RT charter to Governors Harbor from Ft. Lauderdale for about $1900 divided by whichever number of passengers it takes along. Plane will hold eight comfortably. There is a $12 departure tax plus landing and takeoff fees.
My contact will attempt to arrange some other group to come back on the return flight or come out with them for our return flight which will reduce the cost even more. Housing is being looked into and I'm told this spot is DIY friendly and she books these trips on a DIY basis quite often. She didn't even know it was a problem elsewhere! At this point housing is looking like around $70 per night for a party of eight, on the beach, in a villa. We can rent boats or a Jeep Cherokee. All total about $1200 per person for eight + food and drink. I really like the Acklins as a destination but it may be tough on some of the other wallets. Only one problem with the Berry's = cold fronts.

Phil

#18 · (Edited)
Juro
If we come, I'd be joined by my old trout, salmon, tarpon and bonefishing buddy Larry Solomon — we just haven't finalized our bonefishing trip for next year. We would need to clear with our schedules and family (my wife usually joins me for our yearly Bahamian trips). There's a lot we need to juggle, but would try to make some decisions before year end. Looks like it could be fun.
Bill

#19 ·
Juro. Please give me a few more days on The Berry's as a possibility. Crew of eight for seven days.

Flight to Ft. Laud---$160-$200 RT
Flight to Great Harbor----$230 RT
Lodging---------------------$350 per person
Food-------------------------$100 per person
Boat--------------------------$105 per person
as a shuttle or three per boat on the flats rotated.
Misc.-------------------------- $50 one night stay in Ft. Laud . for AM flight to Great Harb
Harbor. If we all arrive in FLL in the AM, ,no overnight.

Total ---------------------$1000 complete package.

Still waiting on alternative lodging inquiries.

Phil

#21 ·
Berry's

I have a charter flight lined up out of Ft. Lauderdale. A villa on the beach which I am trying to negotiate with room for eight. Cars and boats are available as well as guides. Cold fronts are always possible that far north but if we can get a sweet deal on housing, let's just consider it before we close the door .

Phil

#22 ·
NEWS FLASH - add one more to the vote

I saw a commercial on Monday Night Football for cayman islands air - $380 rt

Looked on line for lodging, similar cottages for groups were found for similar prices.

This could be interesting... doing some research.

#23 ·
A hurricane hit them very hard this fall. Perhaps that is why flights are dirt cheap. Business must be slow in Grand Cayman! There are bones on Little Cayman and a lodge. Inland ponds and canals provide good fishing on Grand Cayman according to Stephen at BFFG.

Phil

#25 ·
Bad News for me.....

Juro, Gentlemen:

I hate to face this cold, hard reality but the current state of my personal affairs is regretfully causing me to bail on this trip. It figures as I've wanted to chase Bones on a fly for many years. I thought it was all going to pan out - but its not looking good. I hope I am not throwing too large of a monkey wrench into the final planning stages. I'll look forward to a great, lengthy, detailed report of this Clave upon your returns. I'm sure there will be campfire stories told over scotch at the Sandy Clave. At least this year I can make the Sandy Clave. :mad: :frown:

#26 ·
Sorry to hear that - you've certainly earned a trip like this and I enjoyed meeting you twice and was looking forward to doing the crazy bonefish gig with you. Everyone understands how reality strikes. It's our loss that your enthusiasm will not be on our squad this time.

Keep your head low out there and please let's plan to hook up in steelhead country when your tour is done buddy! Best of luck with your AK gig and come out to Cape Cod's striper flats sometime as our guest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.