Fly Fishing Forum banner

new epoxy

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
Nick
Tied a new one using your suggestions, this is what it looks like.

Will it catch fish.????? :chuckle: :chuckle:
Joe

See less See more
#2 ·
Joe,
That looks really good. Definitely will get some fish...I bet it would swim like a crippled baitfish as well. Excellent work. Quick turnover as well;)
Nick

#3 · (Edited)
Joe, both presentations are nicely done; this thread and the other.

Regarding the epoxy conversation: Art Burton, et al, including myself, have covered this ground before. Art contacted Devcon for a straight answer, seeming to get a 'yes' AND a 'no', adding to the confusion. Art likes using some brand other than Devcon based on successes/info/experience.

HOWEVER - I spoke with the Devcon guy last Saturday night (Art, this is the guy who lives across the fence from my nephew) - Devcon Five Minute is NOT waterproof in total constant immersion situations. If allowed to dry, and then coated with a slower setting compound like thirty or ninety minute epoxy, the component is then totally waterproof.

re: Sally Hansen - I've used this faithfully as both head cement and overcoat, even over five minute heads, but never paid attention to non-yellowing aspect, though I think I remember someone else also saying it would prevent/retard yellowing.

Guess we'll have to whip up a bunch of your "Baitfish Babies" or Striblue's "Chatham Morning Blend" or "Monomoy Ghosts" and perform our own bona fide experiments :smokin:

(edited to correct spellingandkeystrokeerrors:whoa: - Todd - wherz yu spel chekur???:devil: )

#6 ·
epoxy fly

Dble Haul said:
Joe, that fly looks wonderful. What size hook is that, and what's the approximate length of the fly?

Thanks. :)
Mark
The hook is a Mustad 34011- 1/0 the fly is approx. 1 3/4 inches long from the eye of the hook to the bend of the hook.
Its a fly that is fun to tie if you like working with epoxy, if you do be sure to use the 5 minuet stuff, otherwise you will have trouble keeping up with epoxy from running over.
Stay in touch.
Joe
;) ;) ;)

#8 ·
Joe, I used the 5 minute type. From My point of view I don't care if it yellows... I used them up plus ,frankly, I like the yellowing since it has no effect on the fishing, but really does not effect the appearance of the fly...it even enhances it. IMHO.

#9 ·
Joe

I used this pattern down in Cabo a couple of years ago for some fussy Yellowfin Tuna and it worked a treat. A couple of fish actually followed the fly up from the depths, stopped, had a real good look and then rushed in and grabbed it.

You can clip some pearl / silver or gold piping into tiny pieces to mix with the epoxy and get some nice reflective effects.

#10 ·
Question

striblue said:
Joe, I used the 5 minute type. From My point of view I don't care if it yellows... I used them up plus ,frankly, I like the yellowing since it has no effect on the fishing, but really does not effect the appearance of the fly...it even enhances it. IMHO.
John
I am now going to show my igorance, but hell you will never learn unless you ask questions, my father once said so. what does IMHO mean????
Joe

#13 ·
Sometimes its "in my honest opinion" as well. To each their own.

Here's a list of others.

NIck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.