Fly Fishing Forum banner

2nd Annual CFR fly donation

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
Casting For Recovery (CFR) provides fly-fishing retreats specifically tailored for women who have or have had breast cancer. We seek to enhance the lives of breast cancer survivors by providing retreats designed to promote and support mental and physical healing. We are committed to socioeconomic and cultural diversity.

I have made contact with the director of CFR and put their mission statement above with his permission. At some point in our lives, every one of us will be directly affected by cancer, whether we have the illness ourselves or it's a loved one dealing with it. CFR provides a unique opportunity for breast cancer patients and survivors to gain mutual strength, respect, and support for one another. You can get much more information about the organization at www.castingforrecovery.org.

One way to help CFR is through the donation of flies that the women can use. In the spirit of our Big Brother Day, I think it would be an outstanding gesture for the Forum here to once again make a group donation of flies tied by some of our members. We continue to mature as a group, and with that maturation comes an increase in our circle of influence in the local, national, and global community.

Last year's donation was quite impressive, and this year's should be no less so given our rate of growth. I also have some tyers from an upstart site donating, so our effort should be very generous indeed.

If interested, flies are due by the end of April so that they can be sorted and in the hands of those who need them by mid May. Please send them to me at the following address:

Mark Dysinger
5 Spring Street
Portland, CT 06480

Be sure to include your name and city of residence, as they will be included in the cover letter accompanying the flies going to CFR. Any trout patterns will do, but the ones used most frequently are listed at the CFR website. I'll copy the list over to here at some point.

I look forward to your responses and participation in this cause.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here the list of flies most commonly used....

The following list of flies are the most desirable for use at our retreats. Feel free to expand on the list as you wish, as we often experience differing conditions that warrant a wide variety of patterns and sizes.

Pattern Size

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adams 12,14
Caddis 12,14
Attractor Patterns (dry) 12,14
Griffith's Gnat 16
BH Hares Ear 10,12
Stonefly Nymph 10,12
BH soft hackle 10,12
Terrestrials 10,12
Woolly Buggers (lightly weighted) 6,8

#7 · (Edited)
Mark, you've read my mind!!

I've also been approached by this group here in Oregon (they're doing their first retreat this September on the Umpqua River) about donating to this OUTSTANDING effort. (Charity Spey Casting Clinic)

Don't have the actual info in front of me, but the organization started in the mid-90's with their first retreat. Last year there were over TWO DOZEN in the US and Canada. Orvis is their major 'corporate sponsor.' Looking into how we tap into their 'matching donation fund.'

The cost per attendie (Oregon) is $750 'all-in;' and the funding is all by donations to this just cause. The attendie's just have to 'get there ...' The Women's Fly Fisher's Group' (hope I got that right, here in Southern Oregon is the driving group for the first in the State. Their goal is $10,000 to fund the entire event. As of yesterday they had $4,000 and were on their way toward collecting the rest. (The local event Chairperson -Cathy T- also happens to be one of the best spey casters in the area!)

I'd urge the Board in the strongest possible terms to support this fine organization.

Fred and Joan Evans

From a recent post to the 'CSCC thread.'

Our first 'charity group.' With the groups
permission I'd like to expand our scope a tad on to whom we send funds from this years Charity Clinic.

Cathy Tronquet of "Casting for Recovery" has approached me as a funding source for the first (of many I hope!) Oregon Retreat in September, 2004.

All the attendees (this is a national 503 c3 organization) are recovering from breast cancer. "CFR is a national, non-profit organization dedicated to educating and supporting women who have or have had breast cancer. The weekend retreats, which are free to the participants, incorporate counseling, educational services and fly fishing to promote physical and mental healing."

The cost per attendee is $750; if we can't cover one (other donations), we sure could get darned close!

Why fly fishing? Cathy added the following:

"The casting motions provides a gentle exercise for oint and soft tissue stretching;

Fly fishing provides stress relief and promotes a sense of calm and a reason to hope;

Social interactions offer women a chance to share, laugh, vent and rejuvenate."

There's much more to the letter, but you get the gist. As I'm just a 'facilitator/book keeper,' the direction of the fundings is up to you ... but I'd vote "yes."
Fred

#9 ·
deja vu... Fred!

Cool.

I started a fly drive on our Oregon Board for the same purpose and found this thread this morning - My assistant has applied to attend here in OR, which got me thinking about how to help, and led to the fly drive. Great to see it here, too.

Fred, even though I'm not an official part of the charity clinic, CFR gets my proxy vote for support!

-Gus

#10 ·
Just to clarify my joke, being a steelhead / striper fly tyer a #6 is a tiny hook, hence the buying verses tying.

Now that the show is over, I will sit down and tie some trout flies for this worthy cause, just in time for the trout season so I will tie a few extras for myself.

Thanks for doing this Mark.

#12 ·
This is a reminder that donation flies are due one month from today, at the end of April. Flies received in May will be too late, because the shipment to CFR will be made on May 1st. Please meet the deadline.

Thanks to all who have participated so far. It's great to receive so many donations for this cause.

#13 ·
A first!

Well, I must say that I'm rather impressed by a few individuals who have donated flies. I'm impressed because these two fellows are self-proclaimed lurkers, not actual Forum members, who saw the ongoing CFR donation and sent some flies to me.

Well done gentlemen, and don't be afraid to hop on in and become members. ;)

To everyone else, flies are due in three and one half weeks.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.