Fly Fishing Forum banner

Turneffe Flatz

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  fishboyicu812 
#1 · (Edited)
Quick report about the fishing in Turneffe a couple of weeks ago:

Turneffe Flats is a first-class resort. Particularly the staff, from the owners to to the guides to the house staff. Nice lodge with good food and relaxed atmosphere.

Unlike other areas of Belize, you can wade to your heart's content for both bones and permit. Most days had us wading rock-hard coral flats in the AM and lush grass flats for tailers in the afternoon. Some of the smaller groups of tailers included fish up to 8#. Larger bones were seen, but none landed.

Permit were abundant and we had quality shots at them every day, both on foot and from the skiff. We each landed our first and probably should have landed more given the number of shots we had. On 2 occasions I had groups of large fish tailing within 20 feet of me on foot.

The weather could have been better for the last 1/3rd of the trip but we managed to have very good bonefish days regardless. We found larger flies to work better than the reccomended small ones when the fish were actively feeding.

The sand fleas were murder and impervious to all forms of bug spray. No problem on the water, but long pants and shirts are reccomended for happy-hour on the porch.

Overall great fishing and lodge. I'll definitely be back.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I was fortunate enough to accompany Dave to Turneffe and agree completely with his take on the lodge, staff, fishing, etc. We had some great days on the water even when the weather was less than ideal. Big Dave really put his Monomoy sight fishing skills to use and excelled at duping those bones stacked up in the backwaters of the reef. It seemed as if every time I turned around Dave was sprinting towards a hooked fish; 7 weight held high, in a frantic attempt to steer his hooked fish around the countless coral heads that were present on the many flats we fished.

All in all it was truly an amazing trip. For me it was the permit fishing that I enjoyed the most, but the bonefishing as Dave stated was great. "Dubs" Young our guide was truly as dedicated and hard working as any guide could be. His genuine enthusiasm for fishing was matched only by his work on the poling platform.

Now if I could only figure out how to keep those sand fleas from biting....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.