Fly Fishing Forum banner

Trout on moving water

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I know all of the Cape guys have been pulling trout out of the kettlehole ponds all winter, but I just can't seem to work up the enthusiasm for fishing subsurface stuff for trout.

I do get completely turned on by catching them on dries, and the moreso when it's on moving water. [Complete freshwater nirvana is native brookies on dry flies on small streams].

Has anyone found trout on top yet, and better still has anyone found trout on top on moving water yet?

#2 ·
I'll take you trout fishing .........
they eat top water stuff all winter.......
But will stripping an elk hair type muddler as fast as you could and seeing a giant Brown waking after it for about 20 feet of the retrieve be tooooo non top water?????
As for moving water... best action takes place when the pond looks like Nauset Inlet on a sloppy day! Brookies in a small stream is fun... but trout that eat 1/0 decievers aren't bad either!
Way more fun then chasing holdover bass?
(just kidding around mike.) But if you want to try some of this next winter be glad to show ya!
At the end of bass season I look forward to this fishery and now that they stocked it's time to start cleaning last seasons bass gear.

#3 ·
As I mentioned to Tony I started fishing the kettle ponds at a very young age myself. Canoeing around Nickerson has brought some beautiful fish on my line, and that place holds trout over very well too. I read there's a rainbow smelt population in Flax. Those ponds with herring runs get the extra protein shot. Healthy water, healthy fish. I wish I hit it with Tony this winter before the factory fish arrived, I'll be hitting it anyway this spring as we start going on Cape on the weekends.

I also very much love fishing freestone streams, for all manner of salmon, trout and steelies - and it's definitely narcotic. Mike I haven't done the wild brookie thing in many years... wouldn't take much to get me on that trip. I remember a few streams off fire roads on the Kancamagus where the native brookies were stumbling over themselves for the fly, nothing big but just gorgeous.

The streams on the upper left part of NH (Ammonousic (sp?)) near Littleton and Lisbon are fantastic for spring dry fly fishing, and no crowds. Jeff Roop and I have been talking about a Vermont trip to visit the American FF Museum HQ and maybe stop in to say hello to Bob Veverka, etc. These streams are on the way to VT and the trout stream-to-stream hop potential would be high.

Let's fish 'em ALL!

#4 ·
Mike,

I fished the lower Nissi this afternoon. Not a fish in sight. There was a monster caddis(I believe)hatch going on. But not a single rise. I also went up to the C&R section to look around and saw someone FF. Anyone I know? Man, I love that river.

#7 ·
Guys,

Well went out today as the temps were pushing 60 by early morning. Went to go to the Manhan Brook in Southampton to check it out. Ended up going up to the North Branch in Westhampton and checking it out. My buddy Chris has shocked it before and they collected a few good browns, so we figured what the heck. The area had changed a bit, since he was there - so we went to hit the East Branch of the Westfield - <b>below the dam</b>. Well we rigged up and I was psyched to use the new 5wt, and as a bonus there was a good hatch of tan stoneflies and what looked like some little yellow stones, but I'm not an entomologist. Anyway after poking around in the water I began to think that I was a major couch potato and that the wading was pretty hard. Trying to get across the river to fish some promising water on the other side was a challenge. I noticed a couple of sticks floating by and actually was thinking that this was a sign that I should be aware of - the problem was I didn't make the connection. Anyway the water was coming up, and coming up fast. I went back to where I crossed, but by then it was too late. I tried but thought better of it, plus I didn't want to damage the digital camera in the back of the chest pack (a sure thing for a fishless day by the way). So I sat there on the other side until my buddy retrieved the map out of the car. This is where those walkie talkies would have come in handy, in fact we had mentioned them earlier and were remarking how they would have helped us a few times on the coast. I was lucky, as it was only 1.5 miles to the road - and I found a logging road and it didn't start to rain yet. But there is a lesson in there somewhere. If we didn't have the map we would have been guessing. I may even throw a compass in the bottom of the pack now. So no fish, but a story that I will remember for a while. A side benefit was seeing some water that I wouldn't have with the trip through the woods - some of the Westfield is very beautiful. My buddy from the West Coast remarked that when the water came up the river reminded him of some of the steelhead rivers he has fished.

Pete

#8 ·
RE:Trout on moving water,,, Pete

Pete, I guess you need something to get your heart pumping to make this thing we love so much the addiction it is!!!!!
I remember wading out on some outer bars along the back beach in the dark.... getting into fish... pretty good some nights.... seeing the water still flowing out over the bar... and thinking I still had time to make it back to the beach throught the deeper cut... BUT... it took me some time to realize the tide is coming in depth wise but for ... like the first hour of the coming tide it still moves east... Talk about having your heart fall to your stomach (or even a little lower) when you step off that bar and you are OVER your waders,,...
I would say,that was a good experience you had so early in the season of the new milleneum... it will make it be a safer one,thats for sure. Glad it worked out good for you!!!
PS: Isn't there a horn or something to warn fishermen of the release of water from the dam?

#9 ·
Tony,

I think there is closer to the dam, but we were 3-4 miles downstream from there. We think it was an unscheduled release, as I'm sure there would have been some kyackers out there if it was planned. It did come up quick, and they were really letting some water out, probably in anticipation of the rain tonight. That little voice in my head should have put two and two together when I saw the sticks floating by when it just began to rise.

Being out in the ocean and having the water rise around me cutting off my exit would probably have my heart revving faster than my old chevette on the Mass Pike. I always try to opt for the safe move in the ocean environment, probably as I am not as familiar with it as compared to FW, and I am not really the strongest swimmer in the world.

The Westfield R. really is a pretty place to go - that region 10 miles west of Northampton is pretty nice as well.

Have a good night,

Pete

#10 ·
Pete and Tony -

Glad you're both here to tell about the need for alertness in the field! Some have been less lucky.

I've taken two swims since I began to wade as a young teen. First time was on the upper Green River gorge just east of Seattle the water appeared so clear and shallow I went for the far bank. As I stepped, the current carries me further into it's grip. Soon I was unsure of the next step would find bottom as the current began to dictate my crossing. Sure enough, a step without anything beneath it came and I was tumbled down the current 100 yards with my waders full. I fumbled onto the far shore, gasping with exhaustion from fighting the current with a rod in one hand and the waders heavy with water. Foolishly, I was not wearing a belt. That incident and seeing a guy being carried underwater by his parachuted waders to come up downstream in his underwear (on the Hoh) made me become a wading belt disciple.

The other swim came after moving back to the east coast from Seattle. I was out on Quivett flats, just west of Brewster. The tide was coming in and the fish were with it. Each moment's action got hotter and hotter on the little bar I was on. Even as I realized the predicament I was in, I stood only waist deep. No matter, everything around the little bump I was on had flooded deep and it was hundreds of yards to shore.

Like you guys, I feel wading is certainly something that requires care. I only guide on the flats on a dropping tide, and take very precaution at all times. Studded felt boots with extra heel rigidity make for safer wading in rivers. I prefer scuba boots in SW for comfort and the ability to swim (not that I ever want to need it).

I agree with Tony, perhaps it's a good time for us all to think about safety in the season ahead! Here's to a safe season for all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.