Fly Fishing Forum banner

Stream Thermometer--Nonsense?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Moonlight 
#1 ·
Shall I buy a stream thermometer, or just grab the medical type one that I have in the house? Both will get the job done, right. Other than a lanyard, a protective casing and a pen clip, it seems that a normal thermoter with a plastic case will work fine.

A lanyard--like I don't have enough junk hanging off me.

The plastic housing--good protection I suppose, but then taking a temp reading isn't all that complicated.

Pen clip--handy, and I might just superglue one onto the plastic case.

Any thoughts on stream thermometers?

#2 ·
market hype & other nonsence

I went through the same thing a year or so ago. Even returned a darn good stream therometer because it wasn't the "Fishpond" brand I wanted. So I found the Fishpond thermometer and bought one. Sexy aluminum housing available in your choice of red, green or blue. And provision for attaching to a lanyard. But the doggone thing is so short, it is difficult to determine an accurate reading. And lanyards or retractors suck!

Find something that reads well in the range of 30 to 80 degrees (where the **** is the degree key???) that has a pen clip on it. Or scavenge a clip, the kind you used to be able to slip on a wooden pencil. Super glue will not work. Hit it once and it comes undone.

#3 ·
Get one of the strip-type thermometers that change color to indicate the tempoerature and attach it to the laces of your wading boots. No need for laynards or things cluttering up your pockets and you don't lose any time deploying it, sampling the tempererature, and returning it to it's stored position. They are cheap to boot.

An angling buddy showed me his and I was immediately impressed. His is actually made for this purpose. I simply used one that was made to attach to a glass carboy for home brewing.

A distinct advantage to my brewer's model is that I am also informed whether I should choose a lager or an ale for my refreshments (Of course whisky, having an unimited range of temperatures that are suitable for its consumption, requires no thermometer). :wink:

#5 ·
Bob Pauli said:
Lenok,
I don't think the medical thermometer will be useful unless you want to take your own tempereature.
I guess you'd want to shy away from the rectal thermometers then, huh? :whoa:

#6 ·
I love temp's

Kelly girl's and several other brands. Hey Pescaphile the waters are warmest in Northern California. The fish are smaller but there is more to life than sore wrist and cold windy nights! Probably going to get underway by Sunday. Give us a call there is room in camp.

#7 ·
Pescaphile--what "strip-type" thermometers are you talking about? Call me unenlightened but I can't picture what you mentioned.

As for the temperature of what a fellow might consume after the angling, I think that beer bottles sunk into a rock-encircled eddy and kept at cold stream temperature is enough for a guy to feel close to nature as the sun sets and good stories of the day's adventures are told.

#8 ·
Strip type...

I suspect Pescaphile was refering to the Umpqua Feather Merchant strip thermometer that can be laced into the toe of your wading shoes. I have several and they are fairly accurate and are easy to operate you just have to wade into the water and when you want to know the Temp you look at your toe of your wading boot just a glance at the color of the strip will tell you the temp. It won't read colder than frozen and it won't read much above mid 60s but it will be a lot simpler than operating a lanyard and such. I have seen these in most fly shops and several catalogs but I haven't seen many people using them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.