Fly Fishing Forum banner

Gold Orvis STH SSS Fly Reels Made in Argentina

8K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Flyfishing Finn 
#1 ·
I am looking for information on these reels, since I have a chance of buying all 3 models in 1 buy (Light,Medium and Large for $1100).
I hope you can tell me more about these reels and please advise if $1100 is a fair price for these 3 models. Thanks upfront ! and best regards,Wim (wimdebeer@planet.nl)

#4 ·
Pass,,,No,,,run like hell

brooklynangler said:
I think more like $175-250 each max. Good reels, but not great reels. Not collectible, really. I'd pass.

I'd buy one Bogdan (well, almost for $1100) or some other more desirable reel than three of those. Check out justreels dot com for ideas.
Agree with Brooklyn Angler. STH reels are servicable reels but that's about as far as it goes. Orvis STH reels are just STH reels made under contract for Orvis. In a couple of years,Orvis will no longer sell these reels and you won't be able to get parts for them.

If you want something collectable(?) get an STH turbine reel. About as useless as tits on a boar hog,,,,,,but a good conversation piece. :razz:

#5 ·
There IS something special about STH reels made in Argentina - IF (and only if) you buy them from the factory shop in Junin de los Andes, Patagonia. In that case you'll be enjoying the whole Argentine experience: good fishing (although rarily spectacular) and great scenery + huge steaks (not to mention the southern blondes..).

I think the earlier STH reels were well made, and I have two that I like, one of them bought over there. But recently I bought a new one just to have some extra spools, and the quality is way down. It looks like these Orvis STH's were made in the good old times, but as others have said, the price sounds way too high. There are better buys, esp. with our strong euros.

With $1100 you can even fly to Patagonia! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.