Fly Fishing Forum banner

Wading Jacket Advice Needed! Simms or Patagonia?

9K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  midstream 
#1 ·
Simms makes awesome waders! How are their wading jackets?

Never tried Patagonia... Any good?

What do you prefer?

thanks!

:eek:

#6 ·
Both companies make exceptional gear. The playing field is even when it comes to cool weather / hvy duty rainjackets IMHO.

If you're looking for a lightweight rainjacket, the lightweight Patagonia jacket is the best summer / flats raingear I've ever imagined never mind owned, and Mr.Chouinard's company has much imagination when it comes to outdoor products.

This years model is lighter, more supple (it almost seems like it stretches with movement) and as comfortable as your old sweater. I have had these jackets sustain torrential rainfall without soaking through and am a very happy Patagonia jacket owner.

#7 ·
I have never used a Simms jacket, but I have had an SST jacket since 1986, that lasted until last seaon. (Still looked perfect, but started to loose its water repellant quality). 18 years isn't bad in my book. I bought a 1994 model to replace it and couldn't be happier. I rate Patagonia's customer service at the top of the heap along side Orvis and LL Bean.

#8 ·
Simms

I love my Simms coat.

I have fished through some downpours in that jacket.

Seuss, do you recall the storm that we fished through in Orleans when the Orvis schoolers were just getting soaked? My Simms jacket kept me bone dry. The huge chest pockets are also big enough to hold a large saltwater fly box.

Go Simms and you cannot lose.

-Mike

#9 ·
Never owned a Patagonia jacket ...

However I have had a Simms jacket for about 5 or 6 years and love it.

They are a little pricey ... but being bone dry all day in a 40F driving rain ... makes it worth every dime you pay for it.

I like the cuffs I can tighten to keep the rain out or to tail a salmon without getting a wet arm.

I have not tried the new Guide jacket, but the old one has all the right stuff.

I also have two pairs of Simms waders ... also very happy with them.

Stephen

#10 ·
Simms cuffs

Yes,

The cuffs on the Simms Guide Jacket are quite nice. I have plunged my hand well below the surface of the ocean here in New England on many occasions and I always appreciate those cuffs. In fact, the cuffs are the best feature about these types of jackets. A wet sleeve can suck the temperature right out of you and make you cold in an instant.

Good point.

Mike

#12 ·
I have the simms G3 jacket and it is very nice. Even better cuffs than the guide jacket and keeps you bone dry. It also has waterproff zippers which are really nice.

The brand new patagonia jackets are really nice though. They have incorporated a stretch material into thier jackets which is really nice. They also use waterproof zippers. It is a little more comfortable than the simms jacket but does not breathe quite as well. Close though to the simms.

You cannot beat either of them and patagonia does a ton for the environment , more so than any other fly equipment manafacturer.

-sean

#15 ·
Both make excellent products but Simms has treated me so well, and I am so impressed with their other gear that I own, that I stick with them. Their guide-weight waders are the single best investment I've ever made in my fly fishing career.

I use one of their lightweight, Pac-Lite jackets as it is very thin, which allows me to wear it all year long. It takes up little room in the back of my Simms Master vest, yet it's there when I need it. In the winter I simply wear fleece layers underneath it and stay warm. Of course, it also doubles as a great saltwater flats jacket due to its light weight and packability.

I have the matching pants to go with it and carry them both in the boat.

I like the fact that Simms makes clothing and accessories for fly fishing.

Good Luck,

Count

#17 ·
rogerstg said:
How is fishing not hunting?
Also, the AR crowd believes catch and release is torcher that only serves your selfish gratification.
You're all for that Eddie? :confused:
I went to the Patagonia web site and I was blown away by all the different organizations that they help out. I can't think of any company that is as generouse or has that kind of corporate vision.
You should check it out. You might be surprised. Do they support some groups that are in conflict with hunting or fishing or driving cars or whatever....sure. But look at all the overwhelming majority.
Your characterization of all animal rights activists is simplistic and intentionally misleading. I am sick of people passing along hearsay and rumours. We got enough of that crap during the last round of elections. Did you get your info from Dan Rather or the Swift Boat Vets? Do some home work, and come back with some good reasons why we should boycott Patagonia. Please, no cutting and paisting bull from some hysterical chicken little web site.
As far as I am concerned, fishing is hunting. I can see how some people think messing with animals is sick. They are entitled to their opinions.
I still think that Sims makes a better jacket. I wonder who the owner voted for.....

#18 ·
sean said:
Well Yvon Chouinard the owner of patagonia is an avid fly fisherman so I am not seeing the connection. I looked on thier website at all the places they donate money too and did not see one anti-hunting group.

Care to elaborate???

-sean
Hey Sean, here's one. This is a tough issue. And I sympathise with both sides. Personally I think that hunting with bait is not very sporty. The people of Maine debated, thought about it and voted not to ban baiting the baiting of black bears. Democracy at its best. I am willing to bet that it will come up again, and it will be banned eventually. The video that I saw was pathetic. May as well shoot a cow or a dog.
This is from Patagonia's web site:

Maine Friends of Animals
190 US Route 1
Falmouth, ME * 04105
USA
(207) 628-6404
Grant Amount: $1,500

Maine Friends of Animals works to ban the baiting of black bears and other game animals in Maine. Our Freeport store made this grant in support of the Bear Facts Campaign, which distributes information on black bear ecology, bear behavior and wildlife management.

Again, I am amazed at how much money they give out.

#19 ·
Thanks Eddie. I do hunt but I am against bear baiting or baiting of any animal. Just not sporting IMHO and the thrill of the hunt for me is getting out on the animals terms. This is a hot button issue here in washington as well.

They do give out a ton of money and I respect them for that.

-sean

#24 · (Edited)
rogerstg said:
I must have struck a nerve, but you don't have to lie about what I wrote to make a point. Are you feeling trapped by your own hypocrisy?
You did strike a nerve. You are either a troll, or you can't justify your prefab response. It's irresponsible to make a claim with out providing information. That is what the Forum is all about. Shareing information. How about backing up what you implied: Why should we boycott Patagonia? Please share the evidence that led you to decide to blast Patogonia.
Your hysterical rant about animal rights activists...we'll ignore it. You've got alot on your plate already.

Sorry DH, This is a little off the track, but corporate giving, responsibility and vision are good reasons to support (or not) a company. I had never really thought about it much, but all things equal (performance wise), this is one way to choose one rain jacket over the other.
One person posts: "IT LEAKS! :mad: ."
And another responds, "Mine hasn't for four seasons. Please elaborate."
The political overtones make it a little hot. Kind of like a import vs. domestic or catch & release vs catch & keep.
I suppose after being called a liar and a hypocrite, I could get mad...:redface:

#25 ·
With all due respect to Roger, I don't think anyone really thinks Patagonia is a 'pinko *** commie' company because of the quote - in fact guys like me think they are among the great examples that 'doing things right' while 'doing the right thing' can go hand in hand. They prove that knowing your outdoor activity and making the best stuff you can possibly make to suit that knowledge works.

BTW - I consider Yvon Chouinard one of the great outdoorsmen / success stories and his acumen for leveraging his knowledge into an internationally successful enterprise is the object of much respect and inspiration to me.

What's even more impressive to me is the extent that they share their success with groups of all kinds who care about the environment in one way or another. They give something back cause they can.

Back to the product discussion - their stuff absolutely rocks. Almost anything you buy from Patagonia promises quality, well-thought usability, and style. Simms is also top shelf. You can't go wrong with either.

Isn't that what the topic was?

#26 ·
I have a pair of Patagonia ski pants that has lasted 9 seasons of 30 or more ski days each.
I also admire their vision - when you pay 300 bucks for a jacket, you should have it the rest of your life. That is literally what you get from them - a piece of gear for life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.