Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cinder Worm Hatch

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
I took my auction trip with Capt. Bob Hines yesterday and experienced my first cinder worm hatch on Ninigret pond. My initial impression of these critters is - boy they can really move. The worms were anywhere from one to almost four inches in length and zip around sub-surface in what looks like a completely random path. The "Hatches" are also localized - one small bay can be alive with them whilst just around the corner not a sign. The following night everything changes.

I would like to report that we connected with countless keeper sized fish but it was not to be last night. We had a dozen or so fish into the low 20s earlier on before the hatch got going and then switched to surface worm patterns. I managed to cover, connect and land one rising fish during the main part of the hatch. I also failed to connect with another four - that I'm aware of. The takes were incredibly subtle - almost like feeling you picked up a tiny peice of grass on the fly. Looking around the pond very few fish were being caught. This was reminiscent of a late evening rise on a still water when trout get keyed in on Caenis and refuse all offers. Apparently on Thursday and Friday nights they were jumping into the boat and peole were connecting with keeper size fish.

Anyway, a great time and a new experience. I definitely want to go back and try again. Maybe worth a kayaking trip before the worms pack it in for the summer - its a great location to paddle :smokin:

See less See more
#2 ·
That sounded great to me... all things considered I prefer "technical" fishing over the blitzing frothing grab anything situations. Well, after the first couple anyway. ;)

I have sat in actively feeding worm hatches and didn't hook a single fish until the tide starting moving bass into stations behind structure where I could swing and strip flies to get them to hit... in other words blanked for almost two hours with fish slurping everywhere! It sure isn't easy to do what you did and you guys succeeded under tough circumstances.

BTW - everyone who enjoys the forum should tip their cap to Capt.Bob Hines and Adrian for their contribution to our impending dedicated server upgrade!

#4 ·
Mike

Same thought crossed my mind. :D

Week days are tough - work down in NYC but there's a long week-end coming up - so exploration sounds like a plan!

Water was 62F in the upper salt ponds yesterday.

#6 ·
Took tomorrow as a vacation day. Gonna hit Barn Island early then meet up with Jerry for afternoon worms at Ninigret. I hope it`s slammin`. Report tomorrow night. On vac. all next week, at least once I want to get out to the RipRyder, fishing everyday, company welcome.
Slinger

#7 ·
Had the boat in the water at 5:00 yesterday. Started at Barn Island and went up inside the Pawcatuck, every cast was a dink for two hours. I wanted to explore outside so I headed to Napatree point, conditions were fac, no fish. I`m trying to learn my way around down there so I took the tour, Watch Hill, the dike at Bartletts, got stuck on a bar at Sandy Point, even made it all the way out to Fishers Island, finally ended back in the river for a few more twinks. A beautiful day and a nice ride but not one fish outside the river. Pulled the boat and headed over to Charleston to meet Jerry for the worm swarm. Lots of worms in the back, fish everywhere, very picky. My fly was bright red and the worms were pink. Managed a couple, missed a bunch. The hits are very Quick and then gone, not like with a Clouser where you can be a day late and stil connect. The water`s real skinny up in that pond, the channel from the public ramp is only 3 ft. deep at high water! Motor problems caused me to pull the plug a little early so we were back at the ramp by 8:00. 15 hours on the water, what a looong day, but extremely worth it. That waters still dam cold when you have to jump in to push the boat off a sand bar!
Slinger

#8 ·
Great report Steve!

Most of the worms we saw were pink also but with a few pale tan/olives in the mix which tended to be the bigger worms. I also noticed that you can pick out the male worms shedding a milt cloud right under the surface. I wonder if the fish key in on that?

As they say in the movies Immitate That ............ Striblue?:devil:

Or maybe they prefer the one inch females or maybe the two inch females with the larger black head or maybe ......:eyecrazy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.