Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sunray Shadow?

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Jamie McCaig 
#1 ·
Can anyone post or send me both a picture/photo and the recipe for a 'Sunray Shadow'. I've up until recently not heard of the fly, and since I started doing some reading up on Russia, I've noticed that it is mentioned almost everywhere! So, excuse my ignorance!

Cheers
Marcus

#4 ·
good luck in trying to find some goat hair long enough! on the rynda, the wing is often up to 7" long! personally i found some a celtic flycraft on 01269 825591

the basic pattern that's used is some brown bucktail about 1/3 the length of the overall dressing (tied on one side of the tube), with a few strands of peacock hearl or crystal flash on top of that and about twice the lenght of the brown bucktail, with the long goat on top of that.

its often fished riffled across the surface, which can be achieved by piercing the tube to one side of the dressing and threading the nylon through that - so use plastic tubes.

#5 · (Edited)
Photo From Norway

Dear Marcus,

Here is your photo. This fly has the same look as what I tie as a Silver Rider the fly Pete Dube created for the Restigouche River. I have had some success with these long flys up to 7 inches. They are best effective when the fish have just left the salt and are still in a feeding mode. If you would like to have a few patterns please let me know.

Dear Salar76,

I use horse hair for these long flys. It comes 2 feet long.

C.R.O.

Attachments

#6 ·
Hi Marcus

The original Brooks Sunray (the version that Peter Power swears by!) used colobus monkey hair which pulsates in the water , creating a living effect to the fly. Its very hard to come by but worth the trouble if you can find it.

Which river are you heading to and when?

Tight lines

Jamie

#7 ·
I've never used monkey, however, I've found natural black human hair to be absolutely terrific. It's extremely fine, flows and undulates very easily. Plus, it can be purchased in practically any length — much longer than salar76's Rynda flies. Shops that supply hair to beauty salons is where to find it.
Bill

#9 ·
Thanks

Hi Jamie,
Thanks for the info on the Sunray Shadow, I appreciate it. To answer your question, I'm fishing the Rynda in week 33, that's from the 11th August this year. I've neer been, but have wanted to go to Kola for years now. I can barely contain my excitement! How do you know Peter? Have you fished any of his rivers before? He sounds like an interesting man, I'm looking forward to meeting him.

Sven,
Thanks for the article, I'll be sure to look at it right away.

Bill,
My brother does most of our tying, so I have passed that info onto him. He has already spoken to someone who is going to get him some of the 'salon hair'!

Thanks everyone for your helpful tips and info, it's appreciated.

Marcus

#11 ·
Hi Marcus,

You'll have a great time at Rynda. It's nirvana for any flyfisherman....you get everything from wide pools, streamy runs, deep gorges, pocket water and waterfalls. It can be testing but at that time of the season all the pools are full of fish with fresh fish trickling into the system. The guides really know their stuff and you must listen to their advice. They will be showing you new skills like nymphing for salmon. Best advice I can give you is keep the fly moving quickly, cast square whenever you get a chance or even slightly upstream. If you can't then strip the fly at a moderate pace, 2-3" per second.

I've been visiting Peter at Rynda since 98 (mostlu week 34)and have fished all the rivers under the "three rivers" umbrella over the years. I'm fishing Kharlovka/Litsa week 37 this year and will miss Rynda and everyone at camp. If the river isn't too low you might get a chance to fish the Zolotoya which you should take without hesitation. Its a real gem, tiny, more like a big burn. Reminds me a lot of the upper Avon on speyside, crystal clear water and total peace. Lunch is a real treat!!

I first met Peter on the Connon many years ago where he fueled my desire to fish the rivers of the Kola. He is very passionate about all things salar.

Best fly for me has always been a yellow sunray or sunray nymph fished on a sink tip. If you want to add a bit more weight use a cone but this does affect the way the fly swims in the water. Strip the fly and wait for the results, it won't take long!Once I've figured out how to post photos of the flies I'll do so.

Tight lines

Jamie(Rynda type!)

#12 ·
Looking forward to those photos Jamie. strangely a search for the colobus monkey didn't come up with many results relating to fly tying....plenty about environment/animal rights etc.....maybe not the most PC of materials!!! i did find a photo though, and it does have some mighty long hair

#13 ·
Thanks

Hey Jamie,
Thank you for all of the tips and hints, I appreciate any info I can get- I really want to be prepared for my week on the Rynda.

You said that the Zolotoya reminded you of thew upper Avon on Speyside? Where have you fished the Avon? Which beats? That is my home river, my parents run a hotel with fishing on the Avon, and incidently, that is where I caught my first salmon on fly. If you know beat 2C, boat pool, on Minmore Water? I have fished the Avon quite a lot, from Tomintoul to Balindaloch. Which beats have you fished?

Thanks once again for the tips and help.

Tight lines

Marcus

#14 ·
Hi Marcus

I fished the top deat on the Avon above Tomintoul 2 years ago and will be fishing the Ballindalloch beat of the Avon 1st week in June. If you parents run the hotel, perhaps we'll be able to meet up and have a chat. I'll make sure and bring up a selection of sunrays/variants. My personal email is jamiemccaig@aol.com.

Going for a cast on the Teith tomorrow, river's quite low but fresh fish running the river in small numbers.

Tight lines

Jamie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.