Fly Fishing Forum banner

Brewster Flats?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Jazzman 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
Anyone know how the Brewster flats are fishing these days? I may be there this weekend. Low tide at dawn. No incoming moving water til after 7:00 ish. Thoughts?

Lefty

#3 ·
Terry,

Dawn low is probably my favorite this time of year. Sight fishing is not as important (compared to summer months) when you'd want a different phase. Because of lots of bunker and the fish's urgency to feed for the migration the visuals are surface disruptions and bird mania, and even when unseen the lurkers are willing. On the previous low AM cycle we cleaned house on Brewster Flats.

Two notes and the rest via PM...

Not all the fish are on the bunker, schoolies are very focused on them and although there are cows among them to pick one out from the crowd has been difficult at best. All of the keepers encountered (clients) have come from other clans hunting sand eels, which are also plentiful with the exception of isolated schools of 3" bunker on one evening flood tide that had a lot of attention from big fish, and some crab action on Monomoy earlier in the month.

Even when it does not appear that they are there, unless the forage has been gone for a couple of tide cycles the fish are very much there. In fact my clients can attest to the presence of nervous water during what seemed to be off times which were in fact shoals of large bass in the shallows.

In summary, it's been really good but you need to tune into them.

Look for a PM...

#4 ·
Rats, got to deliver furniture to my daughter in NYC this weekend otherwise I'd join you.

Two weeks ago was hot last weekend quite at the west end of the flats. Saturday could be ok if the wind is light or out of the sw.

Upper Bass river was loaded with bait and snapper blues but no stripers from what I saw. I'm sure they're downstream.

#6 ·
"Not all the fish are on the bunker, schoolies are very focused on them and although there are cows among them to pick one out from the crowd has been difficult at best. All of the keepers encountered (clients) have come from other clans hunting sand eels, which are also plentiful with the exception of isolated schools of 3" bunker on one evening flood tide that had a lot of attention from big fish, and some crab action on Monomoy earlier in the month."

Interesting observation, and it squares with what I saw in August. I fished some Bayside beaches during the last half of August for almost two weeks straight and had lots of peanuts and tons (TONS!!) of little fish after them. Fish after fish, but nary a decent sized bass among them. Bunker were spraying everywhere, and there were blitzes and boils in 1 foot of water. But then, at the mouth of creek that spills out onto the beach I was fishing, I ran into a bait guy cleaning four keepers he'd caught on clams the night before. Not one had a peanut bunker in its stomah, but they were all filled with little crabs and a few sandeels. Maybe the peanuts are like what Swisher and Richards used to call a "masking hatch" on a trout stream -- predominant food source that fools you into missing out on what they are really feeding on. It is possible, of course, that these were resident river fish on crabs, with a diet different from the open water fish (which were blitzing maybe 3/4 mile from the creek mouth) but I didn't see a fish over 22" in the bunker blitzes. Still fun though, especially with gurglers, poppers and the like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.